lightweight 2000 watt generator

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfisherman369, Jan 21, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    iam thinking of putting a a lightweight 2000 watt generator and run 300 watt hallogens or a few of the 150 HPS lights on my 14ft. boat for bowfishing frog gigging or just running around , might come in handy for getting shad at night . Anyone ever did this if so how did it work out for you ?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Never done it, but thought about it for night fishing crappie and sand bass. I haven't figured out a way to do it w/o making a boombox out of an aluminum hull.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have come up with a few ideas of mounting it but keep wondering the best way to limit vibration . I have an old piece of mine belt i might try using with it .

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    sounds good to me big man

5. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I intend to do the same thing with my boat. I just haven't got that far yet. I'm still working on some of the more basic things with mine right now. when you do it, post up some pics and tell us how ya did it. I would be really interested to see how it turns out. Good luck:cool2:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Something I overlooked...I have a little 1kw Honda generator, which is, I assume, similar to what you have in mind.

It has a low oil shutoff switch that is VERY sensitive...I really have to pay attention to keeping the little guy level. I'm not sure how it would handle the rock and roll of life on a small boat.

Something to keep in mind, anyway.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 3500 watt one on mine with 7----- 500 watt quartz's on it. Get the lights that are made to be portable lights [ about 10 bucks apiece or less] rather than the house lights. The house ones mount on a piece of conduit where the work lights mount from both sides.

On KY lake there is a mist/fog on the water at night,, the 500 watters cut threw it better than 300s.

I bought a Coleman 3500 for my boat,, it has a Tecumseh motor, USA made. I bought a 2500 watter for my camper, Chinese made copying a Honda motor. That Chinese one started the first pull right out of the box.

Wow was all I could think as it started like a Honda. Then I hit the switch to kill it and it kept running and running. lol I had to choke it to kill it. It probably has a wire off behind the plate, but I never removed it to look. It has a shut off fuel valve on the bottom of the gas tank and that is how I have been shutting it off. That Chinese one starts easier than the Coleman,, USA made one. It starts the first pull, every time.

I use mine to run jugs by myself at night. It works great. All my jugs have reflectors on them,, They show up when a little light hits them.