Lights?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Ellis, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Ive heard a couple people saying at ngiht time if you shine a flash light on the water shad and other fish will come up which is a perfect time to throw your cast net on em. Is this true?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have had luck attracting baitfish with crappie lights and the green lights but I have not thrown a cast net on them yet. If they are there it would be a good idea but it may mess up your fishing in that spot for a bit.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It takes a while most of the time to attract themwith light. I don't think a flashlight would be feasable. The light attracts bugs which sart the food chain...the baitfish are attracted to the bugs and not the light. This may not hold true to all fish such as crappie, but shad and others I have found it to be true.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    ok, i'll let you guys in on my secret shad catching trick, the reason that sometimes i am the only guy around that can catch shad and i usually end up giving hundreds away to other catters. just keep it a secret :cool2:

i use lights everytime i try to catch shad. I have two 'tractor fog lights' mounted on my baot for just this reason. I idle down the creek at about 3 mph and have the lights shining directly beside my boat. the shad flock to them. i simply have my buddy drive 50-75 yards while i am on the front deck watching and as soon my throw hits the water he kills the motor. 2-3 times usually and we have enough bait for 12 hours of fishing.

another bonus: you can use this method to select SIZE of shad. that's right. if you speed up a little bit more then the bigger shad (10-14 inches) are the only ones that can keep up and they will be all you catch. slow way down and only the smaller shad seem interested in the light. We also have quite a few big ones just jump into the boat while doing this method. it's definately worth a try. but i would make sure i got a big light. our lights are probably 125,000 candle power and i do not think a flashlight would work.

5. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Thanks, I have an old fog light in my basement ill have to try out:big_smile:

6. HANKPMT

HANKPMT New Member

State:
    GA
    Ellis
    I do most of my net chunck'n at night or early in the mornings.I use a Hydroglow (greenlight) and can fill my bait tank up in about an hour of being on the water.The thing that I do is turn the light off as I am releasing the net.The reason for this is the shad will see the net coming and scatter.By turning the light off,it confuses them and they tighten up.
    Wondering how I turn the light off while throwing the net ?? Well, If my wife happens to go,it gives her something to do.It took some timing practice on her part and a WHOLE lot of patience on my part. :big_smile: When I am by myself, which is 90% of the time, I have a switch wired in that can be turned off and on with my foot.
    I was taught this by a well known striper guide on Lake Lanier in Georgia, I hope that this also helps you!
    Hank

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's good info, Hank. Thanks.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good wife and good tip

9. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hankpmt is right on with his suggestion that does work great! I use two different sizes of hydraglow lights while crappie fishing at night. Any light will work, but a green light works best for drawing in plankton which in turn starts the food chain of fish. Just a suggestion you dont have to spend big bucks on these expensive green lights. You can get a Brinkman green light in 2-3 sizes and they work good also. They just dont seem to be as bright. Dont forget to get a large weight to sink the light. You need a light that goes under water or you cant keep the bugs off you, it needs to go about 18-36 inches below the surface. Sometimes shad will school around in a "hurricane" and you can dipnet them. Ive found that the smaller shad are near the surface and the larger one go deeper.

10. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thanks fer the idea about the submersible light I've got me one of them gizmos... I guess it's past time ta put it back in da boat Gonna have bait galore...... thanks again catrod No BUGS :big_smile_2:

11. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Where can I find those at?

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I just bought TA2D an optronics floating green light for his birthday. Hopefully it makes our cast netting more productive.

SudDawg