Lights for the night

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by mudmowilly, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mudmowilly

mudmowilly New Member

State:
    NE
    I plan on putting out set lines at night. Need some input on light setup that works best for those of you that have them on your boat. Currently I have 2 batteries on my boat 1 for trolling motor and 1 for rest of boat (starter,bow & stern lites,fishfinder). Can brite and low amp draw be used in the same sentence? Which battery ? Any thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated.Thanks, MudMoWilly

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am just a little confused as to what your asking. If the question is what type of light is used to set out set lines, limb lines, jug lines or trotlines, there are many different lights suitable for this useage. I would recommend a headlamp with a red lens. This would provide suitable light to see to bait hooks and remove fish and it would not necessarily destroy your night vision. If your referring to lights used to drive your boat, I'd suggest you first check your state laws to see what lights are legal. Some states will not allow you to mount driving lights on the boat. The reasons for this, if you think of it for a minute, is headlights would wash out the red/green running lights on the bow of your boat. Other boats would not be able to get a good reference as to what your course is and may lead to an accident. Secondly, headlights on the water can blind the occupants of a boat your approaching. It destroys their vision, which detracts from their enjoyment of being on the water. I feel its best to get along with everyone you possibly can and there is no need to purposely upset someone as we generally can do that by accident. If your bound and determined to have a light, I'd suggest a hand held spotlight. It is easy to direct the beam away from another boat. AND as I said previously, many states will only allow extra lights while docking or beaching a boat.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i would also have to say to use a head lamp, they are hands free giving you both hands where you need them, on the line. and use a spot light to check your position and to see ahead of you, but keep in mind that they are bright, so don't shine one towards another boat, or let the reflection of it from the water hit another boat, or even traffic on a bridge or something.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree, check with your state regs. but, I put those 55 watt fog lamps that go on truck grill guards (i think) on my little jon boat. I run my trolling motor on its own nicer deep cycle battery... but all my other stuff including those fog lamps (depth finder, bow and stern lights, and bait tank pump) run off of a cheaper 75 amp/hour walmart battery. I've run them all off that cheap battery for 3 nights in a row without need of a recharge... probably could have even gone longer. When I run the fog lamps, it is mostly to navigate up and down the river, but I too run lines on occasion and it helps locating them. They have a decent width range and they work good for me. I think they were a little less then $20 at walmart. I have a switch for them so that if there is another boater ahead I can switch them off. The key is just to be courteous... I know I wouldn't appreciate being spotlighted while I was fishing and loose night vision. But if you have a switch close by, you can easily turn them off until you pass that boat. It has been my experience that you wont want them on for a long time anyway cause they attract a lot of skeeters. A normal spotlight would work too and be more versatile, but I think it would be annoying to hold it and steer the boat at the same time. Hope this helped.

5. mudmowilly

mudmowilly New Member

State:
    NE
    Thanks to all who responded. I have my old 6 volt hot light from coon hunting days think I'll get a new battery and give that a go. If I need more I can try a Q-Beam. The hot light is good for about 6 hrs. also has a rheostat. I'm thinking it might be the ticket. MudMoWilly