lights for night fishing...

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Shawn, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ok, night fishing guys....

I'm looking for something to help see what I'm doing at night...to make it easier to watch rods, and help see where I'm casting....

I've seen fluorescent black lights, red lamps, black led headlamps, etc...or red lens for a headlamp.

What do you guys like to help see your rods better for night fishing, and shine a little light on a spot without spooking the fish when making a cast....

Shawn

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I used to use a lantern all the time until it just seemed like a hassle replacing bulbs and mantels and just extra weight to carry. Nowadays i just use a cheapo headlamp from lowes .......as long as you're using reels with clickers they work just fine and you avoid the chance of spooking any fish with excess light......

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Shawn, I started out with a coleman lantern in the boat or on the bank. Besides me being able to see, it drew bugs. From skeeters to some kind of gnats that cover you in a cloud so thick you can't breath or open your eyes lol. I gave that up and found if I sit for an hour in the dark I can see everything. And I have no bugs. Get a head lamp or flashlight for baiting up and re-tying. Put some white reflective tape on the tips of your poles. If you just let the night come to you, you'll find you can see better than you think. If you still can't see your poles due to shadows or non moon nights get some glow sticks and tape them to the tips. I tell ya if you fish the bank or outta the way spots in a boat, the no light thing will help you catch fish. Its only one variable among many, but if you can deal with it you've eliminated another obstacle.

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one thing i tried last year, maybe i'll work some more with this idea was stretching a yellow or red latex balloon over a flashlight/headlamp.

Softens the light, less bugs, and with the red if I could get it to shine out enough, I should be able to see cover when i'm casting at snags in the dark - without scaring the fish. Red also doesn't impact your night vision nearly as much.

As far as rods, all my rods are dark colored, and I don't use a clicker. that's why I was thinking of black light, but then it would just be another thing taking up space in my small boat.

Shawn

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you use white light then you need an amber filter.Bugs cannot see amber light so arent attracted to it.I found a company that made amber globes for coleman lanterns,and bought all I need for the rest of my life.:lol: They really work or I wouldnt tell you about them.However I discovered the Optronics green lights and used them last year in my boat with great satisfaction.I bought one that can have sections added to it.I mounted it on the grab rail around the console of my boat and it works great.Doesnt attractive many bugs,is a softer light yet completely illuminates my 21 ft boat.I use white rods ,sometimes up to 12 and they are all very visible.The draw back is you must have a battery to hook them to but their amp draw is minute.I suspect a motorcycle battery would run 1 section for a couple of nights.You can buy these lights from Cabelas Basspro etc and they arent to expensive.:smile2:

6. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Paint your tips of rods with glow paint that is used for jigheads, and then you can use a black light, the tips really show up in the dark.

7. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    I use a amber 12v bulb, installed in a mechanics clip on light system. You can move it and hang it where ever you need it. Bulbs and clip on system can be got at walmart for less than $10. Any 12v battery will work, i use my trolling motor battery.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shawn. like Skip I too fish in the dark, boat or bank.Some would even say more in the dark! lol
    I use a small LED light that clips on the bill of my BOC hat. I picked it up at Wally World for about $14.00. The three AAA batteries power it for many nights so I just leave it turned on and pointed up. If I need light to change bait, cast or land a fish it swivels back down quickly. When netting a cat I just make sure that the main beam of light is not focused directly on the fish. As for my poles they all get a light stick from Wild Wolf Products one of our fine sponsors, they are very bright and last longer than you will need them and at a great price too.

9. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Jim,
    I get the amber bulbs at a local rv supply but i have got them at walmart in the rv section. I use 2 sets on my pontoon and have them hooked to my trolling motor battery through a off on switch on console. this is the best lighting system i have ever used. the bulbs i have now is almost 2 yrs old. Think i paid like $4.97 for each clip on light fixture and $1.97 for each bulb.

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I use a JEEP LED lantern for when im rigging everything up. Then it gets shot off and i put on my headlamp. Seems to work pretty good.

11. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
  12. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    You can get an amber globe for a coleman lantern. I believe it was Whistler that gave me the website to order them a while back.

I paint the last foot of my rods white if they aren't already white. This allows me to see them very well with a little moon light. The LED headlamps are worth their weight in gold. Mine will run a clear LED, red LED or clear incandesent bulb. You really don't need all that crap; the clear LED is all you need. You can get some with a power saver switch that will turn on one LED or all of them. Some units run around 10 LEDs for a blinding white light.

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Go to Wal Mart or a hardware store and buy some white reflective tape. Most of the time you can find it by the lettering and mailboxes. You can cut off a strip 1/2" at a time 2 inches wide and put 6 strips on the end of each rod. You'd be amazed how well those silly things show up at night with just a rinky dink headlamp. For light, I use an Energizer headlamp from wal Mart for about $13. They're bright and have 4 or 5 different settings to conserve juice, and they also come with some red or white lights. I've had my headlamp since this summer, and I've yet to need to change batteries. You can also find little $6 clip on lights at Wal mart for the same purpose, and I like to clip them onto the arm of my chair and point the direction of my rod tips. I've found that by keeping the light on the chair, and not on my head, that I don'thave bugs all around my face all the time.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The reflective tape works well. If you get the D.O.T approved tape like the big rigs use, it really shows up, even with the red light on a head lamp. Mostly, I prefer the darkness. LIght interferes with the fishing.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tom I'm kind of curious dont you go through a lot of lights if they get SHOT off???:big_smile: :wink: :tounge_out: