Lights for navigation...

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Shawn, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone know where you can still buy those plain old reflector headlights that run off of a 6 volt lantern battery?

You know the ones, I think ray-o-vac used to make them - just a reflector with a plastic lens on the headband with the switch. The one I have now runs off of AA batteries etc and just isn't as bright as those old ones were.

Also, is anyone using rechargeable spot-lights? I was thinking that might be a good option, but I don't know if you can get enough burn time to make it up and down the river (about 45-60 minutes of driving time, of course the spot wouldn't need to be on the entire time you're driving...)

Shawn

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    look at the LED head lamps they are real bright as far as the old stylle 6 volt jobs id say try a old surplus store. I havnt seen one of them in a long while.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Check out the lights on this site www.huntsmart.com

They are mostly designed for coon hunters, and some are pretty expensive, but they are good lights.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    thanks for the link! allready found a idea for more lighting in my boat :p

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Far Cry catelogs still carry the large headlamps that run on the big batteries. They are a coon hunter suppyhouse. I use a LED headlamp with 5-6 bulbs. Its really bright and had a red lense to reduce the buggies. Hope this helps.:)

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the ideas..i'll check that out.

I was looking for something to focus a beam maybe 100 yards or more, so those hunting lights might be ticket.

Shawn

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    in looking around some more, i've seen the 1 million candlepower rechargeable lights as low as 9.99.... since you can recharge from 12v too, that might work out. Then maybe I can modify my existing light to run on a bigger battery, or fashion one to run off a big 6v battery using reflector/bulb from an inexpensive lantern....

shawn

8. rockk

rockk New Member

State:
    E.C,florida
    i use a rayovac that uses 4d cell batteries. adjust wide beam to spot like the old style, but heavy duty. buy mine at the true value hardware. gig frogs out of canoe. use rechargable batteries lasts about three weekends

9. rockk

rockk New Member

State:
    E.C,florida
    you know if you carry a couple of four volt bulbs and change out the six volt bulbs when your batteries start going dead you'll get a couple more hours of bright light
    dont forget to change back when you reload hot batteries