Lights bait/crappie/bowfishing

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by sds888, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I am looking for lights that I can use to light up the water underneath the boat. I would like to do a little bow fishing. I saw a boat the other day that looked liked a space ship about to lift off. I couldnt get close enough to see how they did it. I do not want to use gas laterns. I have seen some ideas but I want a lot of lights. Thanks for any help. Oh I am stupid so I did a little more details than the average person. thanks
    Stephen

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Why not get some big halogen lights mount them some how pointing at the water. Then put a generator in the boat to run the lights off of. The boats that I have seen that run these kind of lights run them that way. check this boat out..

http://www.floundergigging.com/FlounderGiggingTheBarge.htm

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thats a nice rig but I dont think I coulde put a genator in the boat I got it is only 17 foot. But that is kind of what I am looking for. just not as extensive. Thanks
    Stephen

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have personally tryed about every 12 volt light made on my 19 foot Lowe Roughneck. They all did not work that great. It seems fog-mist on the water at night just eats up the light.

The only way to have great light is with a generator. Last year mine quit and I used a borrowed 3000 Honda Inverter. Boy was it quiet. I cannot afford one of those for my boat as they cost about 2k. Lowes has a Troybuilt 3500 that has a Briggs motor and super large muffler for about 5 hundred. Thats what will be on my boat this spring.

The last two years I ran 4 500 watt quartz house lights that came from Lowes. They broke right where the stem and wires go in. So I had to jam a stick to hold them steady.

Last month I was in Lowes getting a new kitchen faucet and bought a portable work light fo 10 bucks to see better under the sink. Hey it caught my eye that it has a u shaped bracket and is held in two spots. Well I went back and bought 7 to install on the boat. They are 500 watt quartzs.

I will look like a space ship this spring. I have seen those folks shooting carp with bows, and they usually run 16 - 500 watt quartzs--- 8 down each side.
    There generators are really loud and I know it has to be hard to talk on those boats.

I like the extra light to run jugs or limb lines. When fishing by myself, it's hard to hold a Q-Beam / control a boat / and grab a jug too, with just two hands. As it is I just bump the throttle on my center console and touch the wheel every once in a while to control it catching jugs. lol .

I have my lights wired on two extension cords and just plug them in to the generator. No fancy switches that way.

If you want real light --- you have to get a real generator. As most boat motors don't put out enough electric to keep your batterys charged running a lot of 12 volt lights. My 90 hp Merc only has a 15 amp charge comming out of it I think. I have experimented all different ways and a small generator is the only way to go to get real light.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Agenerator only weighs about what a small person weighs. 130 lbs of so. Leave the wife at home and have light. lol lol

I'm just joking. lol:lol: :lol:

6. jayrbee

jayrbee New Member

State:
    Winter Haven,fl
    I recently purchased an Inverter from Sam's Club auctions.

Lowes' has a 400 watt inverter for around 76.00 I got a 1500 from sams for 65.00. I also got a 400 watt for 26.00.
    Haven't hooked up the 1500 yet. The 400 does a good job.
    I use 65 watt flood lights in a clamp-on bulb holder with reflector. I can run about 4 hours off the trolling battery.
    The lower wattage bulb the longer the battery life.

You can buy Sam's (samsclub "dot"com) membership on line ( 30.00)
    when you want to place a bid ...........BE SURE to check the shipping charges. What might be a bargain might turn out to be expensive with some shipping charges.

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thank you and welcome to the BOC.

8. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I bought a geny from pepboys for under $400.00 and a friend of mine bought one to and he runs about 6 lights with his. Its a 3500.

9. jayrbee

jayrbee New Member

State:
    Winter Haven,fl
  10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Stephen you can get a 1000 watt honda or yamaha gen. they arent much larger than a deep cycle battery and are alittle lighter. quite running and run a 500 watt halogen light. thats alot of light. I think the boat you saw that looked like a sun rising may have been a bait boat. they use those big heavy sodium lights like you see in parking lots. I have one in my front yards and it lights my 1 1/2 acres well.