Lights at Shreveport & Bossier City Launches

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bassadict69, Aug 7, 2006.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Does anyone have any idea why the lights at the Teague & Stoner launches are turned off during the night?

Seems to me they are just asking for something to happen since the parking lots are dark after 12 or 1am. I mean, our crime rates aren't exactly the lowest around here!

I think the launches are under the Red River Waterway commision but I figure if the mayor gets involved, maybe we can get them to leave the lights on all night...So, I emailed the mayor of Bossier City today asking him about it. No reply yet but will let ya know.

If you agree about this, feel free to send an email also. If enough of us do it maybe someone will get the picture. Better yet, maybe we should send one to both the Shreveport & Bossier Mayors & get them both in on it.

mayorsoffice@bossiercity.org
    mayor@ci.shreveport.la.us

2. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't know what time they shut time off. It seems like sometimes they're on after dark and sometimes they're off. I'm sure they're trying to cut back on electricity. If they could just wire it to where a few of them stayed on all night it would be perfect. I'll send in my two cents. Thanks for posting the email links.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I noticed that a couple of weeks ago when we were picking up to leave. Our grandson was with us; I was kind of concerned about the lights going off while we were trying to load up. I agree; doesn't seem like a real safe idea. I will definately send an email. Thanks, James. I thought it was just ME. Appreciate that.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the info James, I have sent and email to the mayors office of bossier city. I would love to see them on all night.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just got my letters off to both of them. May not do us much good, but at least they'll know we're out here!! Thanks again, James

6. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not sure if I am draming this or not, but when I lived in Bossier I thought I saw a sign that stated the park closed at a certain time. Maybe that has something to do it. Come to think of it, I think the sign said something like, "the park closes at dark". Let me know if I am wrong!!

7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have never noticed a sign but the gates stay open all night & they never run anyone off from there. Not even those just "hanging out"!

Has anyone rec'd a reply from their email...I haven't! Next stop may be the local tv channel's Call 3!

8. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    That last sentence is the one that will probably get some action. Politicians don't like to be on camera when it is not a favorable situation. Of course, they'll probably whine and cry about they're trying to conserve energy. Good luck. BTW, I didn't see Teague or Stoner St. landing on the RR Waterway site. Perhaps the state operates the landings. Who knows.

Will

9. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    The public parks all close at dark, but the Stoner and Teague boat launches are not under the SPAR or the BPAR systems. They are state owned facilities ran by the Red River Waterway Commision if I am not mistaken.

10. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here's what I sent in.

Dear Mr. Walker,

I am writing to ask if you know why the lights at the Teague boat launch are turned off at night. Teague is a great boat launch and is convenient to me and many of my friends. I am a catfisherman and do most of my fishing at night to avoid the heavy ski boat and jet ski traffic in the afternoons.
    The launch is extremely dark when I come in and I feel it increases the chance of vehicles being burglarized in the parking lot and it's difficult backing boat trailers in the dark also.

If you'll drive by the launch in the middle of the night on a weekend you will notice there are many trucks and trailers in the parking lot. All of the owners of those vehicles are either leaving their vehicles and trailers there all night or are going to come in during the night. A little light would make the launch alot safer.

Again, if you could tell me the reason the lights are turned off at night I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
    Jim Hayes

11. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Great letter Jim. I am sending mine in now.

12. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
  13. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I sent my letter off too. Good job getting this started!

14. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Thanks ya'll for jumping in on this!

15. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I sent mine, I hope they can read REDNECK.lol

16. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I don't know of anyone else but I have not gotten a reply from anyone about the lights.

I just emailed one of the sports reporters from The Times. He usually does all the outdoors reporting on the outdoors page of the newspaper. May not do any good either but is worth a try.

here is his email if anyone wants to shoot him a note...jimwatson@gannett.com

17. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I certainly never received a reply!

18. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I did'nt either, I guess we just don't rank that high on the list for lights.

19. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Well, there is a way to be heard. We can file a petition or go to a town meeting. First we would need to voice our concern in formal writing and submit it. If that does not work, we send it again. We raise the issue at a town hall meeting (city hall here i suppose) and remind everyone that we are all voters and our voice should be heard. IF that does not work...then we start raisin some cane...LOL

20. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Last time I was at the Teague landing, I noticed the RRWC patrols the area. A phone call to 1-800-874-9431 might get some sort of responce. That is toll free to the office in Natchitoches. I'm not sure my calling would do much good, being I'm in TX. If that doesn't get a responce, I would contact state and federal representatives and senators. That is what they get elected for.

Will