LIGHTS AT NITE-WHAT KINDS?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, Jun 12, 2009.

LIGHTS AT NIGHT-YOUR PREFERENCE

1. No artifical light of any kind.

2. Campfire.

3. Flashlight.

4. Headlamp-red lens

5. Headlamp-white lens.

6. Flourescent lantern

7. Propane lantern.

8. Gasoline lantern.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m just trying to get a general idea of what kind of lights(if any) fellow BOC members use at night and why. i know I,m gonna get a lot of flak for my way,but here goes.I do all my fishing from the bank now.I use one of the new Nortstar gasoline powered lanterns,I like to keep it in front of me and turned all the way up.I keep a reflector shield on it so I don,t get the light shining back in my eyes ,this keeps me from losing my night vision.I like to watch my lines close and this helps me see them the best.I know there,s a ton of guys that are gonna tell me this keeps the cats away.I,ve used this setup for 40 years and have caught my fair share of cats doing it.My theory is,that yes the cats may avoid the light ,but I try and use this to my advantage.The rivers I fish are fairly stained most of the time,so I don,t figure the lights gonna bother them past 20 yds.I keep my baits outside this zone and feel that the light right in front of me will steer them towards my bait.IOM,I feel like it,s better to push them out towards my bait,then to have them slip right past in front of me.I,ve had several boats in my life(ex got the last one),and didn,t use this system with a boat,as I was a lot closer to the fish.Catfish aint got the best eyesight in the world ,I think their sensitivity to light is highly over rated.I,ve had at least a dozen times that I can remember where they,ve swum up and eaten my bait right under the lantern light(checking my bait for liveliness).There,s also some nostalgia here,as I love the smell of the bugs frying up in the lantern.I keep a flashlight or Flurescent lantern for tying up rigs etc.The flourescents fine,just don,t get that nice fried insect aroma.I don,t like headlamps because I have trouble rigging up with every bug in that zipcode in my eyes.I,ve used blacklights when I,ve had a boat.but so far no ones come out with a good,wide coverage portable blacklight.I guess you can tell from this,I don,t buy into the full moon deal either!I try to be extremely quiet when raising or lowering bait buckets,etc into or out of the water.IMHO-noise is the killer,not light.:eek:oooh:

2. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use a regular old propane lantern and always put it behind us. the light or shadows dont seem to have an affect. i agree about the noise too.as far as a full moon, i caught my pb 51-9 on a full moon with light rain!! shane

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    oh,and he come from just a few feet off shore. in the lights and shadows,shane

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no light at all for me, other than a small lcd flash lite for baiting hooks and tying rigs.

I stopped using lanterns years ago, and my catch rates went up.

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    never tried without lights.guess what i'll be tryin!! shane

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Pat on the noise issue...I would have to guess that 75 pecent of my biigest flatheads have come while fishing alone...But I only fish alone perhaps 50 percent of the time.

Coincedence? I dont think so, one person makes much less nosie that another, or several other people.

7. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use one of those 10" Green Flouresent Lights used for under water from WW. It is great for drawing the bugs away from you and dosn't bother you night vision....Jeff :big_smile:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i always used a lantern myself till end of last year i went to a led head light clear this year a friend gave me a led with the red light the red light is the ticket imo put some reflectiv tape on the ends of my rods the red led makes the tape glow brighter than any glow stick so my vote is for the red led

9. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I use a small three led headlamp on the bill of my hat, and a small single led flashlight in my pocket. I mainly use the hat light for rigging up and rebaiting and the flashlight for checking lines. All of my rigs have bait alarms so i'm not using the flashlight that much. I have never been a fan of lanterns for the simple fact i have a hard enough time with the bugs as it is. I have tried the red, green, and blacklights but just don't like them that much. I will how ever try dallas's idea with the reflective tape and red leds. It makes alot of sense to me as i work with reflective photoeyes and reflectors. After i read that i relized all of the photoeye beams are red and for a good reason, best reflective propertes.

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have used a coleman fuel lantern for most of my life. I also like the nastalgic aspect and smell of it but the last time I used it I had a major problem with the generator and it almost blew up so have switched to a flourescent lantern. It doesn't put out a lot of light but your eyes adjust to it. Have thought about going to an LED lantern but there are so many to choose from and I'm not sure how many LED's you need or should have. A friend uses and swears by green light sticks so will try them also.

:cool2:

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I voted flashlight. But the only time it is turned on is when i need to retie, otherwise its no lights at all.

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I really don't use lights to fish with..I have them all though...Spotlight and propane lantern and a cap light...I really only use them to set up and pick up,rig up lines, take pics and such..When the lines are in the water though the only light I use is on the tip of my rod..

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a LED cap light on my hat that only come on when needed, like tie'in rigs or readin the scale also its handy when takin pics, but other then that i'm in the dark, besides hearin my clicker i do use a small LED light on the end of my fishin pole to see light bites

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I voted flashlight but only use it for setting up. Mostly fish in the dark and light of the moon. When the fish is on I have a craftsman hat with LED lights built into the bill. It works great for fighting the fish and netting it.

15. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i typically use coleman lanterns, but i hate the way theykill ur night vision. i been toying with two four foot blacklights and solar line. i like the idea of those green lights that was mentioned earlier, i would like to exp. with those too.

16. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    MAYBE ITS JUST ME BUT A COLEMAN LANTERN IS WHAT NIGHTFISHIN IS ALL ABOUT :big_smile::cool2:

17. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use a tripod mounted rechargable spotlight with built in low power work light, I'll fix the beam from the work light onto the tips of my rods from the left side, I also use a cheap D-cell flashlight, and my favorite rod just happens to have built in LED lights.....in a pinch, I could fish just fine with nothing more than the cheap D-celll flashlight.

I'd have to disagree with the noise theory, some of the best fishin' I've ever done was with a fishin' buddy who always insists on bringing his young, noisy, unruly kids along.... annoying for me? You betcha, but from what I've seen, the fish just couldn't care less one way or the other.... in-fact I think those darn kids might've been my good luck charm.... haven't caught crap since I haven't been fishin' with him in a while, LOL!:eek:oooh:

18. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    +1 for the LED headlight

19. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I bank fish I use a propane lantern. I keep it turned down to the point it almost goes out.

Here's a trick for those that use lanterns.
    Wrap the back half of the glass in aluminum foil. That way you can sit the lantern in front of you and direct the light at your poles, without being blinded by the light.

20. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I gotta agree with Dallas. I just used a red led headlamp last weekend for the first time. I painted all my rod tips white and they look like they are on fire. It also doesnt seem to attract bugs too bad. I am entertaining the idea of a florescent and puttinr red film on the glass. Ill post pics and my verdict when I get it done.