Lights at night

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chuck99, Apr 19, 2007.

1. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have read a lot about light hurting the fishing at night, for larger catfish anyway. I am assuming this is white light; bulb/fire/Coleman lantern. Anybody fish at night using green or red light? Any adverse affects. Red light can not be seen at a distance and it saves your night vision.

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I feel the lantern actually helps me, it brings in the bait fish and the big ones follow. I will say that the cats and walleyes tend to stay on the edge of the light but I still do very well.

3. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas

i agree.....light is not going to hurt the fishing, but actually bring in the baitfish. just fish the outside of the light and you should catch some nice fish. i have caught numerous large flatheads like this

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    My partner and I recently started fishing with blacklights at night and are really happy with that set up. Less bugs and the UV can screw with your eyes a little but still the good outweighs the bad.

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I use a small LED red light,I can't tell if it hurts the fishing or not because I only turn it on when I'm baiting a hook or landing a fish.For years I used a coleman way back maybe as mush as 40 ft.from the water so I can see to walk and use an old kerosine railroad lantern for baiting hooks and landing fish.The yellow light that old lantern puts out doesn't hurt your eyes or the fishing and doesn't draw bugs.Heck I don't like a lot of bright light around me cause I feel like I'm under a spotlight.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use a spotlight to navigate the dark river at night, then keep the anchor light on, its a law anyways. I have caught fish to about 60lbs with lights and stereo on so I know it doesn't hurt anything. I have had many times when I am running down the river and come around a corner with people sleeping in their boats fishing with all the lights off, not very safe if you ask me. I run a four stroke engine so it is very quiet, its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt real bad or worse. Its hard enough to see at night but when people sit there in complete darkness it makes me nervous. As for baiting hooks and tying lines I use a L.E.D headlight, it has a red, white L.E.D and a white buld, uses 3 AAA batteries and lasts for many nights. People please keep your anchor lights on.

7. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Light has never seemed to bother my fishing either. I usually bank fish with 2 coleman lanterns. One really close to the edge of the water and one back behind me a good 20'. Lets me see everything i need too and is out of the way, plus in a hour or so there are always a bunch of baitfish around the bank ...

8. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i prefer to keep lights at a minimum wen flathead fishing they seem to b very light sensitive unless u are fishing somewere with lights like a boat ramp or sumthin were they are used to it.

9. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    some of my more hefty fish come from no light at all. or i use a lantern with a very dim light.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Light helps me when I'm fishing. its seems like it draws the fish in.

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lately i cant catch em with or without light lol. guess the water temp isnt warm enough yet.
    usually i dont use any lights on the bank. I have a green light that i put in the water to attract baitfish. I have heard that as long as you arent throwin yer shadow on the water, then a bank light is fine.
    i have a clip light with 5 l.e.d.'s that clips on my cap for when i need to rebait and stuff. got it in the v.a. store for $6.00.