Lights at night .

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Sep 22, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    How many of you use a lantern at night while catfishing ? We always use a northstar lantern on bank or in the boat if in the boat we put it on a pole out away from the boat . I hear alot of people say they dont use a light unless baiting up etc .

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I fish the rivers around Pittsburgh.The waters usually pretty stained.Hard to see down 3 ft let alone 15 or more where I,m fishing.I always got the coleman burning.I switched to the Northstar this year too,love it.The light seems to attract the gars to it too,keeping them awat from my baits!:wink:

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i always use a lantren when night fishing doesnt seem to effect the bite i still catch a few fish

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    only time i use a light is while baiting up or netting a fish.i have never had luck catching anything when i had a light on.

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I too, use a lantern.

Hmmm....maybe that's my problem!?:big_smile:

I'm not sure what size of fish you guys have on your resume, but my guess is they're some big ones. That thought gives me hope that I have not been in the wrong for......all my life. Since a child I remember having a lantern, or some sort of light. I just did what I was used to when I was old enough to go at it alone.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i dont know if it can be proven to help or hurt but i think we had two lanterns goin when i cought my pb.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I stoped using lanterns years ago, and now catch more and bigger fish.

I believe the use of a lantern is bad for flathhead fishing

I cant stand a lanternd at night anymore, I like to fish in total darkness, and use a small led light when baiting and rigging.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I have a lantern but only use it to walk through the woods and get to my spots and bait up. I turn them off after that and just use my headlamp. I know flatties don't like light that's why they're nocturnal feeders but I have caught some with one on. Since not fishing with a lantern it's been better flat fishing I have to admit

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I only use lights when needed..I have a spot light for the boat and a lantern for when I'm bank fishing but do not use em while fishing..I use glow stick on my rod tips and a cap light when I need to bait up or rig up..I like it pitch black when my lines are in the water..

10. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have for about the last 15 years used something not everyone has and that is fluorescent lights about 3 foot long, they are 12 volt and I made brackets and hang them over the side of my jonboat and the work great. They are not in your eyes, they light up the ends of your poles, plenty of light for netting fish, keeps your hands free when running trot lines or jugging, and most importantlt keeps the bugs kind of busy on the outside of the boat.
    I can`t see where it bothers the fish any.

:smile2:

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dont have my own boat yet, workin on that. But when we used to fish on my buddy's boat we only used the lantern for lookin for stuff. We used Chem lights on the boat. They worked well with about 3 around the boat and the fish cant see them. We had unlimited access to them for free being in the Army, dont know if they sell alot of them in stores but they work great and last for 8 hours easy. :wink:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I might put a lantern up away from the water. I mainly use my head light:wink:

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we ONLY ONLY ONLY use lights when we are rebaiting BUT they are we little headlamps...Lanterns really hurt flatheading...If it were me channelcatting shouldnt be affected by it much tho...I like the headlights since ive started to use em. The lantern has to cool down before you can pack up, it can run out of propane, it burns you if touched, scares fish, and worst of all draws in insects...just my opinion, i used to bring one every trip out...not any more tho!

14. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I keep a lantern or two but i keep em real dim just so I can see my surroundings. Other night I was fishing a bank tournament and somebody brought stadium lights I was fishing maybe 50yards from them and it was like the sun was up. Needless to say they didnt catch anything and I was wishing there was a better spot nearby

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i use one( depending where i go)BUT when i do i keep it way back away from the water, to wear it only gets my reels and rod holders,i keep my rod holders at lest 4' from the bank, then my Colman about 8' to 10' past them (that gives me plenty of room to get to my rods with out kicking it) plus that light seems to bring the bugs around it, so that way there not around me (yeah right :roll_eyes::smile2:)they say flats dont like the light, so when i do remember it grab it ,that's how i use it:wink: but 75% of the time i just use my cap light:cool2:

16. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I love my lantern. Where I fish I never am able to just drop it a few feet from me. I cast it out a ways on the flats I fish. So the light does not affect the bite at all.

In fact I am considering coming up with a way to rig some flood lights to plug into a cig lighter so that I have more lights

17. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    While fishing i prefer not using a light, For one when the light is on it attracts a lot of bugs. And I have always caught more fish while not using a lantern.

18. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Hey Jack, maybe a light would have helped during your 190 hours of skunked fishing this year!?:smile2:

While I agree that a light could affect the bite, I also believe that a lot of people cast fairly far from where they are sitting. Do you think it really has that much of an affect in that case?

I know where I fish on the Scioto, it's a flight path for the Rickenbacker. A few times a night there are FedEx plans that light up the night sky, and the river, as they go over. In that situation, do you think it matters as much as areas that have no such occurance?

19. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    For those that are against the idea of a lantern, what about the possibility of using red lights?

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use green & yellow LED's, they don't attract the bugs & I can see the Flourescent Tips on my rods. It doesn't seem to effect the bite in any negative way but I'm not fishing for flatties either:roll_eyes: