Lightning

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by bluetick1897, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would like to know if anyone knows of anyone that has had a problem with lightning on the water. Please first hand experience or reliable sources.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never been struck but been way too close for comfort holed up under the Eaton's Ferry bridge on Lake Gaston.
    Lightening hit the bridge, blew apart a massive phone cable strapped to the bridge and sparks showered down in the boat.
    Me and the wife had crawled way up under the bridge and I had just told her to take her hand off a steel I beam and to squat on her feet.

Same lake a storm was fast approaching. People out in the water loading boats in a hurry.
    Lightening hit the water. Nobody seriously injured but alot of people got their life lit up.
    Those were a little too close.
    Thunderstorms roll right down the center of that lake. It's like they feed on it.
    Many times on Gaston I've "borrowed" a boat house with an empty slip.

Been offshore several times and seen lightning hitting the water. I usually don't fret too much on those boats. You got cover and they have grounding systems.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    O yes.. one time i was out and people were rushin' in.. big clouds came overtop and right when i got loaded up the rain poured and the lightning was everywhere!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Say mark. What would be a good grounding system for your typical cat boat. THANX!

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Front room sofa or lounger:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Although here is some cheerful news about it that I found on the web:wink::

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What you intend to ground a fiberglass hull?
    Ground an aluminum boat? It is the ground:smile2: So sad.
    Aluminum boats can get it directly and via a lightning strike to water. Aluminum boats just suck coming and going.

Off shore boats and sailboats.
    Offshore boats the metal works like tuna towers should be grounded.
    Sailboat masts are grounded.
    In other words, get the juice off the vessel into the drink el pronto before it cooks the electronics, engines and passengers. What you have to understand about lightning is that IT IS GOING TO GROUND one way or the other. Easy or hard. Through an eletrode or by blowing a hole throw the hull. You might get one of those fancy ricochets to. Off the antennae, through George, off the steering wheel, back through george, and off the cooler type thing.

Different methods are used from dragging an electrode to fancy in hull grounding plates that are in contact with the water.

The Loran C units. the proper grounding method was to the outboard lower unit. in the event you have an outboard. The outboard is certainly in contact with the water. You know the Loran runs a rather large antennae. Lightning magnet. In fact there is an antennae coupler you need to have spares of onboard. A lightning strike 5 miles away was subject to take that coupler out.
    Not always but would on occasion. Sometimes a problematic unit but alot of people especially the diehard sportfishermen would rather have Loran C. They use a GPS for backup:smile2:

Damn hard to beat a wood boat. If it stops creaking you better be finding your way off it because she is going down.
    Built in alarm system.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey George, insulate your steering wheel. You know them steering cables connect to the outboard right? Lightning strikes 100 yards off port, George gets blown overboard with well done hands and a busted heart to boot.