Lightning how close ?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jollymon, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    When fish,n when is it time for you to go in or seek shelter from lighting Storm . For me when i can see the lightning bolts an hear the thunder clearly it's time to find shelter . Then i am a woosy when it come to the sound an light shows :wink::smile2:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I see the first couple of strikes I pack it up and go.. LOL I try to get as much time in as possible.:smile2:

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    When my weather girl calls me and says get the heck off the lake! :smile2: LOL

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    When in the boat we usually head for the dock . When bank fishing we usually wait and see how long the storm is going to be around .

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I keep an eye to the heavens. If I so much as hear some thunder I'm breakin camp. LOL!

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I fish mainly from a alum. boat ,i have seen 1st hand what lightning can do ,don,t want to see what it would do to alum boat while on the water :wink:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    An old trick I learned many years ago. Carry a AM radio with you on the boat. Tune it to a place on the dial where there is no station. Leave volume on high. You won't hear anything, till lightning strikes within 50 miles of ya.
    Remember, if you can see the lightning, it is close enough to get you.
    Also, seems there was a saying about judging distance of lightning to you. I think it was 1 mile for every second between seeing the strike, and hearing it.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom.... I think that I heard that sound goes about 400 feet or so a second.... (different in water and if listening on a rail road rail LOL)

Year ago, I was out "surfing" in the rain when some lighting struck someone on the beach about 1 1/2 away... didn't think to much of it at the time....

Later, I was in a "sprinkle" at a local pay lake and got out of the boat (alum) and went to the shorre and sat on something.... dont think i was under a tree... but then again... didn't have much sence back then...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  9. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ahhh yes, static crashes. An excellent way to tell if there is lightning over the horizon.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, it's closer to 1100-1150 ft per second. Guess that means it would take 4.5-5 seconds to make a mile.

Temperature & moisture in the air can effect the speed also.

11. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yep, Dickie, we've got an aluminum canoe ( it's a catfish boat in training - ya gotta start somewhere!:wink:) and if I even hear the slightest amount of thunder we paddle for shore.:eek:oooh:

12. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    Depends on if I'm in a boat or on shore. In boat I'm out immediately, on shore I usually hang out for awhile till it gets a little closer.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I either see lightning,or hear thunder,Its time to go inside. I has a good friend killed at the age of 21 I was a few yrs older than him. Fighting a grass fire during a thunderstorm. Watching someone be struck and killed by lightning is a life altering experience.:sad2:

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My understanding is that a bolt of lightning can travel over 15 miles before it finds a ground. If you can see it, you don't need to be on the water.

I was crabbing in the York River once when a thunderstorm fired up. I was in the water and headed for shore as the rain started falling, As I was walking, climbing the rocks around the river, a bolt of lightning hit the water about a mile away and shocked the wee wee out of me. That's a bad, bad feeling. LOL

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Lawrence...I was just about to post the "15 mile" advice, too. :wink: You are correct in that lightning often does travel 15 miles to find suitable ground.

Think about it...there are many situations when you can be on the water and not even see the lightning that is just about to terminate your life.

Think about it...which gamble is more likely to pay off: winning the lotto jackpot, or being killed by lightning because you delayed heading to shore? The odds might surprise you. You are orders of magnitude more likely to be killed by lightning. That's a gamble not worth taking.

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    here in the lightning capital of the world, i dont think twice. when i see a bolt...i bolt!

17. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    When I see a nasty dark cloud rolling up I am gone...:eek:oooh:

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im with you brother, time to get the he!! off the water !!!!! :eek:oooh:

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey, don't run away, it could just be me passing by.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I heard the speed of sound is closer to 7-800 ft/sec, and I learned to calculate the distance by 1000 ft/sec as a rough estimate. The fact is since lightning can strike outa a clear blue sky from 10-15 miles away, it don't matter how close the flash/thunder calculation is. If I hear thunder or see lightning its time to pack up and leave.

Sometimes its just a passing shower, I will stay, but not with the electricity in the air. its not worth it, I stand on the bank, there are trees there, I don't want to be under one, or on a dock with the high metal poles sticking up. Some people survive, but sometimes they are messed up from it. I been hit with 110 volts, I don't reckon I can handle 50,000 or more.