Lightning: Have you "Been There Done That"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by handyronokc, Mar 29, 2008.

1. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    I haven't seen any discussion about "lightning" here on this forum. I would like to read about experiences, and advise in reference to Lightning, while Fishing and Boating.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ron,First let me welcome you to this wonderful site. Lightning hmmmmm
    Bout 20 odd years ago,I was on the volunteer fire dept ,we had a lightning sparked prarie fies just north of town. I was on top or a truck knocking down flames, saw a flash very close. I found out later it was a friend of mine ,20 yrs old ,had only been married for a month. I dont go outside if storms are brewing EVER. If it gets to where it even looks like there might be lightning,I get indoors. I know it aint nothing to play with.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I know a man who is blind in one eye from being struck by lightning. Rest assured when lightning storms appear suddenly, you'll see me haulin it to the closest dock, rock overhang, or anything else i can get too. Something we have no control over, but usually do have some warning, it's up to us to use our head and get out of harms way.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here are some tips

NLSI - Providing expert training and consulting for lightning problems

Contact Us »
    Site Map »
    Home »
    Back to Section 4 Contents »

~ National Lightning Safety Institute ~

March 29, 2008

Section 4.4
    Personal Lightning Safety Tips

1. PLAN in advance your evacuation and safety measures. When you first see lightning or hear thunder, activate your emergency plan. Now is the time to go to a building or a vehicle. Lightning often precedes rain, so don't wait for the rain to begin before suspending activities.

2. IF OUTDOORS...Avoid water. Avoid the high ground. Avoid open spaces. Avoid all metal objects including electric wires, fences, machinery, motors, power tools, etc. Unsafe places include underneath canopies, small picnic or rain shelters, or near trees. Where possible, find shelter in a substantial building or in a fully enclosed metal vehicle such as a car, truck or a van with the windows completely shut. If lightning is striking nearby when you are outside, you should:

A. Crouch down. Put feet together. Place hands over ears to minimize hearing damage from thunder.

B. Avoid proximity (minimum of 15 ft.) to other people.

3. IF INDOORS... Avoid water. Stay away from doors and windows. Do not use the telephone. Take off head sets. Turn off, unplug, and stay away from appliances, computers, power tools, & TV sets. Lightning may strike exterior electric and phone lines, inducing shocks to inside equipment.

4. SUSPEND ACTIVITIES for 30 minutes after the last observed lightning or thunder.

5. INJURED PERSONS do not carry an electrical charge and can be handled safely. Apply First Aid procedures to a lightning victim if you are qualified to do so. Call 911 or send for help immediately.

6. KNOW YOUR EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS.

Teach this safety slogan:
    "If you can see it, flee it; if you can hear it, clear it."

Please reprint & distribute.
    Prepared by the
    National Lightning Safety Institute, Louisville, CO.

About NLSI | NLSI Business Services | Lightning Incidents
    Personal Lightning Safety | Structural Lightning Safety | Reference Information

National Lightning Safety Institute
    Providing expert training and consulting for lightning problems

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I guess I am one of those Brazen fools you will hear about on the 6 o clock news.I dont fish as much during storms as I used to.Chalk it up to getting older and not wanting to get wet.

However I have seen lightning strike just yards from me while wading small creeks and watched trees get struck down while fishing on the river (from the bank).I pretty much try to avoid them now that my kids go with me.

Work is a different story.

Being 60 ft up in a steel structure with my hands wrapped on a 70 ft peice of steel pipe isnt very fun when I watch the lightning storms roll across the mountains.I can tell you this when it gets to the next hill from the rig I come out of the derrick regardless of any company mans wishes.

Just try to play it safe and use your heads when out in the Spring and early summer especially you younger members who are brave (stupid) as I used to be.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jerry I'm with you, I like to watch the lightning but not so more when I have my kids and wife with me (she tends to freak out a little :smile2:). We were at a pond(real small one about 1 acre) a couple of years ago and across the pond there was a errant lightning strike but from where I was it sounded like dynamite just went off it was loud but cool at the same time :eek:oooh:. I used to love fishing before/during/after the storms cause just to watch that power was awsome. One time when I was about 13 we used to stay at a lake here in Ohio and my uncle would leave his boat with us. I took his boat out and you could see the storm coming in. I moved the boat under a bridge just in time to watch this awsome storm roll in. Extreme winds with alot of rain and a bunch of lightning strikes. That was about the most exiting thing Ive seen ever.

The only thing I can think of that was the best storm was while I was active duty onboard a ship. Going thru the Mediterranean and hitting 40 foot swells. I was young and still loved it. I would probably freak now LOL

7. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Keep the Info coming.:big_smile:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Got caught out on the Arkansas River in a thunderstorm one night. Immediately went to shore, climbed about 3/4 of the way up the riprap and got under a small tree, just far enough away from a big tall tree up on top of the bank that we figured the lightning would hit it, rather than us, but far enough away for us to be safe. Still, we felt fortunate that lightning didn't hit anywhere near us. Once the storm passed, we got back in the boat, put it up on plane, and pulled the plug to drain the water out of it.

I did have lightning hit near me once, when we lived just north of St. Petersburg, FL. My dad pulled into the driveway from fishing, and I went out with the umbrella so he wouldn't get soaked getting into the house. I had 'choked up' on the umbrella, trying to keep it down close to my head to keep dry, so I was holding the metal shaft. Lightning hit the transformer right across the street and knocked it off the pole. I felt a real good tingle in the metal umbrella handle, and it startled me so badly that I jumped. How much did I jump? Well, I don't remember, but my dad said I cleared the front bumper of the truck, and the top of the umbrella never moved--looked like I had jumped all the way up inside the umbrella. :smile2:

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good to have ya aboard Ron last year my uncles pole got struck by lightening, and it tore it all to pieces it looked like strings

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bam for all the contact info. Good stuff. Appreciated.

11. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    i was struck by lightning when i worked on a oil drilling rig,all the hair on my head turned silver after that.im a little gun shy when a storm comes in now

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Had it strike very near me when working and fishing both. Anymore I run for cover hopefully before the storm gets very close.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Once I happen to be looking out the window, lighting hit a large pine about 60 ft from our house. Killed the pine. There was only one small cloud above, it was the only time it had thundered and it never thundered again.

Couple years ago lighting hit my neighbors oak tree in his front yard. The lighting blew a hole in the ground along a tree root till it came to his underground plastic gas line that has a 12 gauge tracer wire buried with it. It followed the tracer wire to the house and out to the gas meter near the road. Blowing open the ditch all the way and starting a fire from the gas. At the gas meter the lighting went along the water line to under the blacktop road and blew a hole in the road. But it didn't kill the tree! Sure made a mess in his yard and took out his water, gas, cable and phone line which were buried together for a distance of about 100 ft from the house to the road.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When I was a kid I was watching lightning out my bedroom window and a strike hit the telephone wires about 50 feet from me. Also about 10 years ago I was watching lightning from my balcony and it struck a palm tree about 100 feet away and lit it up. :crazy:

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I got hit by lightning in 1985,it knocked me 15 ft and I had the shakes for 4 hours but that's all it did to me but it was 10 years before I would go out side if I heard thunder.

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    to dangerous to fish :big_smile:

17. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

18. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I worked for Phillips Petroleum Company for 30 years, and once during a safety program, lightning was the subject. One thing that impressed me to this day is that lightning can strike from many miles away. You actually can be standing under clear skies and get hit from a distant cloud. So, when you see a cloud coming up and hear distant thunder, get off the water and under shelter. Remember, you are the lightning rod on the water as you are the highest thing out there.

19. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Have you ever seen ball lightning? Its a static discharge that is horizontal in summer just above the trees and i guess on submarines. I dont mind fishing when its raining. Have caught some of my best channel cats when it was pouring. makes me a lil nervous to be holding a rod with line in the water when it hits close though!