Lightnin strike rod holder

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Tym2Fish, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Just looking for general feedback on these type of rod holders. I read a short post a while ago which mentioned them and I was intrigued. A bit pricey, but I ordered one with the ground kit from Bass pro shops anyways. I have yet to receive it as they are on back order. If they work as stated great if not I will just add it to the great heap of useless gadgets. Below is the address for anyone interested in taking a look.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=45170&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Mike, Welcome to the BOC. It looks like this rod holder will work well, I have never seen one being used, but still the same, it seems it will do the job. Myself, if I'm bank fishin', I like to put a bell on (day or night), I just love to hear that bell ring when a fish bites. Anyway, I bet someone will hope on here and give ya a better idea about how well they work. Good luck and Welcome again.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Thanks T-Bone for the warm welcome. I too have used bells and it seems that every time I have a strike I forget to remove the bell. Needless to say it goes sailing either into the deep blue or as my luck would have it a thicket of cactus. Thanks again for the welcome!!

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I bought the double set from Bass Pro last summer and set them in my boat. This is a great idea. I have not had anything big enough to trip it yet but I have only tried them out 2-3 times. I am getting back into fishing now and I look forwarsd to seeing them in action.

I did have to play with the trigger mech a little to get it set right. actually rounded it off with sand paper a little to make it trip easier. play with it and see what works.

Good Luck! Let me know if they work for you.

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Thanks Catsmith1!! My order came the first part of the week and I havent had a chance to try it out yet. I am hoping next weekend I can give it a try. Thanks for the idea on the trigger system. I will play with it and see what happens.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    did you get them out yet? I am interested in whether they worked for you?

7. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hi guys
    i bought one for my wife,and i think there ok,i also think it depends on your fisging gear,as i have tried it with mono ,and dont think it did to well,plus the rod was light to med action and it took a really hard run to set it off,tried it with stiffer rod and braided line and its better dont half to run as much to trip it

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I have tried them three times so far and as long as the fish hits it fairly hard they seem to work pretty well. If the fish are just pecking at the bait the trigger is pretty stiff and they wont go off. I am thinking of modifying the trigger to make it slightly more sensitive. For all intensive purposes it does what the ad says it will do. I am not sold completely but I think they have potential. I just need to experiment more. I will post soon as I try it out a little more. Hopefully with in the next two weeks or so.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just getting to be to many doo-dads in fishing lately. My preference is to do it the old way. Automatic pole holders hook setters... may as well go to the corner store and get the catfish.

10. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    hhmmm, pvc pipe, rat trap, duct tape....... i'm gonna be rich!!!!!!
    catwacker

11. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Done that before as well..