Lighting your boat at night

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Johny, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Johny

Johny New Member

State:
    nc
    Just here some of your ways would be great laterns the best or what?

2. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    hello johnny........personally...........im a catfisherman..........all i use is a cap light..........we fish close to the boat........too much light not good for the fishing...........you can get a power inverter and hook it up and run a 110v drop light off of it.....seen some guys rig them up on poles over the top of the boat! an inverter may run you 20-40 bucks..........i just like it dark!:wink:

3. cat'n around

cat'n around Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    we use head lamps, i have two fog light style lights mounted in the rod rack on the back of the boat that shines out the back. i also have a rope light mounted under the inside rail that shines inside the boat. and i use a 1 million cp spot light to run with.

4. Knalves

Knalves New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Personally, I believe in "simple elegance". The more you add to your set-up, the more that can go wrong and spoil a what would be a great night of fishing.:eek:oooh:

If you must light your boat, Kevin's suggestion is valid and inexpensive. However, a little more thought into this suggestion would be to run low current, high power LED's under the gunwales if you can. They're small, can be mounted just about anywhere, and will keep the light inside the boat with minimal power draw. A hat light is also a great low cost option that frees your hands.

5. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm with Kevin also the less light the better, I put a waterproof LED in my livewell ( use it as my bait tank ) and have 1 LED just above the livewell to hook bait. I use a LED headlamp because I don't wear a hat all the time. It seems to me that when lights are on you make more noise and are louder and fish don't like that in my opinion. I don't use the boat built in aerator it is to loud and dumps water out of the boat, I use a battery operated one that make bubbles. I keep a spotlight in the boat for night time running but I see better without most of the time, I just go slow and take it easy. Even if I can see good at night I don't run wide open.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  6. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    daniel and i have alot in common it seems when it comes to lighting......:smile2:.....sounds like he'd make a good fishing partner!:wink:

7. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Hey Kevin, sorry I haven't been in touch, have had alot going on. Let me know when will be good for you and I will be there. Talk to you soon:smile2:

8. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    my boat has built in lighting all down the sides of the boat on the inside. I use them when im baiting my hooks and when im looking for stuff but when im just fishing, all i have is a LED head lamp also. For navigation, i use a spotlight but that sometimes glares too much but its better than not seeing anything. But like daniel said, i go slow slow slow. My lower unit looks like king kong got a hold of it! lol

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have LED lights all over the boat. Inside and outside. I use the inside for rigging and seeing the rods and the outside for landing fish. www.bluewaterled.com I also use a 12v flourescent shop light on a extendable painters pole for setting up, moving and landing bigger fish when needed. The LED lights are nice, I use red inside to not interfear with vision, and dont draw bugs. green on the outside under the lip to shine down. (they draw bait in good when crappie fishing). I dont like hatlights cause they dont seem to be at the right angle at the right time for me.