Lighting inside a boat? Red LED's?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Big Dav, Oct 10, 2007.

What color lighting inside a boat?

1. Red LED's

2. Green LED's

3. White LED's

4. No lights inside the boat.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I was wondering if anyone has set up there boat with red led lighting inside the compartments, in the floor and under the console for lighting?
    I have my Tracker set up with white LED's every where (I mean everywhere). It works great for finding that small item in the bottom of a compartment or that dropped item in the floor and for other moving around to get off the boat and not steep on everything (experience talking here). I have white LED's in every compartment, the live well, under the console, in the lower floor area, and the top decks have four feet long white led strips on each side. All is great until you turn them on and back off and it is several minutes before you can see again.:eek:oooh:

I have read where red light will preserve night vision and I am thinking about some red LED's in this boat. I don't run a lot of light (as little as possible) but I do need lights in the boat because my wife and kids fish with me a lot. In the summer the wife and kids spend a lot of time with me on the boats after dark. That is when the lighting will be used. I use clip on ball cap led lights when I am fishing but I need something where I can light up the boat with the flip of a switch. I have always put light in all the compartments of my boats. It just makes things that much easier.

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I put 4" backup lights (white led's) under my console pointing down, they sure are nice, good light but not enough to blind a person.
    I am putting together led's for my night running lights, going to save my batteries as much as possible.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Back in my old navy days I was on an aircraft carrier. After dark the lighting inside the ready rooms where the pilots preflighted and passageways to the flight deck were always in red if they was conducting flight ops which allowed the pilots to see without waiting for their eyes to accustom to the darkness.
    Makes sense that you wouldn't want to walk out on a flight deck from a regularly lighted area into the darkness and walk into a airplane wing or something else.

Makes good sense for a fishing boat also to prevent stepping on something like an expensive rod that was laying on the deck or tripping over that tackle box and falling overboard.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I would use red just for that reason. Nightvision is very important to a boater and fisherman at night.:wink:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I prefer red for fishing. If I have to have additional light, I use a xenon flashlight, then go back to red. I can easily see the reflective tape on my rods, and it doesn't bother my night vision, either. :big_smile:

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Go with the red lights,red don't mess up your night vision or draw bugs.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like the poll is going in favor of red. I have a couple of left over red led light from a past boat trailer project. I found them in the basement last night. I think I may rig them up on a small battery tonight and see how well I can see with them.
    Thanks again,
    David

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    red is great for the stated reasons. but in boat, i like a little more light so i use green ones. it's never seemed to hurt night vision, brighter so can see more, doesn't attract bugs, and best yet, has not made a different is hurting fishing is some of the shallow water i fish in.
    but just my opinion. i also just use those chem lites and they get expensive after awhile. my light lite i lite up (it's flourescent) i wrapped with several wraps of cellephane, or at least it used to be that way.
    gary

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I found an affordable source for LED lighting.
    Rather then going the "marine" route I went the route of customizing motorcycles.

http://customdynamics.com/

When installing the LEDs, put a red one every where you put a white one.
    Have the capability to go either way.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mark,
    Thanks for the link and the idea. I had not thought about doing two different sets of LED's. I may just go with that and add a few white ones as well as red or green. I tried a red trailer light and it did not work great. The light was very directional. It created a nice bright spot in one spot and did not do much as far as area lighting would go. I think I will pick up a couple more styles and try them. I may even order a green one and see how it works.
    Look like green and red are both getting a few votes in the poll.
    Thanks everyone,
    David

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Also, check out the hat lights that feature both white and red LEDs. I know that Energizer makes one. They're inexpensive, and the direct the maximum light in the direction you need it most.

This is a perfect solution for smaller craft.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I bought a red LED trailer light (marker light assembly) to test out a while back. There are about 8 LEDS in it if I remember correctly. I planned on mounting about a dozen or so all around the boat. The amperage draw was very small and the light output was pretty good in the dark.

The reason I bought one first was to see if they were dimmable. I hooked it up to a potentiometer that I had laying around and they dimmed great. This is for sure one of my future projects.

13. bw19

bw19 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought a 2 foot strip with 24 LEDs off eBay for around $18 including shipping and insurance. The item was only $6 so I wish I had bought more than one.

The seller is trendydave, sorry I don't remember the name of his eBay store. He has all colors and a variety of configurations. Best price I could find anywhere.

14. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I actually have the Seasense red/white light combo. It is suppose to use less energy then normal lights, and I have had it running through the night with a fish finder and your normal front and back running lights and still had plenty of juice in the battery. The red/white combo light has been great, perfect for me. You can push the button one way for white light and the other way for red light. It has numerous led red & white lights in it that give out a good amount of light. The white light is bright and you can see very well with it, and the red light isn't as bright as the white but is still gives a good amount of light for you to see and not effect your night vision. I got it at Bass Pro for about $20 and one of the sells guys took it out of the package and hooked it up to one of the batteries to show me how bright the white & red light was, and I will add it to any boat I have. I have it mounted on the inside on the side so it lets you see the inside of the boat great.

I am attaching 3 pictures. The first two are in the middle of the lake at about midnight or so (completely dark), and you can still see everything in the boat (gloves, tackle), and the white one is that much brighter. The last picture is the white light on when the boat is in on the trailer.

Attached Files:

15. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one seasense red/white led combo light. It is get because you can turn the red or the white led light on, which ever you prefer at the time.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Mark for the great idea and web site. Appreciated.

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Do you get the "kit" or do you get your resistor somewhere else.. If so, which one do you get?

18. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    red for me would be the idea color , to illuminate some areas iin my boat as well but they would difinately need to be LED lights to work the best plus they will last longer and be more durable

19. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I had forgotten about the thread. LOL
    I ended up going with basic T&H marine courtesy light cups and replacing the 194 series bulbs with red LED bulbs from V-led's. That way if I have a LED go bad I don't have to replace the entire fixture. I have white led strip lighting in my Tracker and when that style light has a group of LEDs go out you have to replace the entire fixture. I have had to replace three or four of them over the past four years. Not the best way to go at $15- $20 per fixture. Seems like they lasted long enough to be out of warranty.:angry: LED's are suppose to and do last longer that standard bulbs but they also can fail. That why I decided to go with replaceable (cheaper) bulbs on this project.:big_smile::tounge_out:

Thanks
    David

20. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another cure for people with white lights. You can cover any or all of the lights with the lens tape sold at auto parts stores for the repair of tail lights on cars.
    I have used it on the shielded "half lights" to keep the deck visible but not ruin my night vision. You can also stick some on your spare flashlight lens. It is removable.
    This tape is also useful to have in the vehicle if you keep breaking trailer light lenses like I do.