lighting help wanted

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by 4bratsdad, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    lookin for ideas on lighting on the new boat, really like the black light idea,dont have florescent line yet but all my rod tips are white, was thinkin bout the led blacklights dont know how many i would need or type to make my tips glow, right now i use a 6' pole light w/ a standard base 12v bulb, or i just use glowsticks, i also like the red lights, those are easy to get around here.i'm more interested in seeing the tips& eventually line, not so much interested in lighting her up like wrigley field anymore just something that will direct my vision like glowsticks, thanks for any help

2. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    well you might try those clamp on shop lights. chang the plug so you can hook up to the marine battery. buy a 12 volt d.c. light buld at a parts store. the bulb will burn for over 18 hours by it self on the marine battery.:wink:

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just recently added some LED's to the outside of my jon boat. I can't actually see them from in the boat, but I can see the light they give off. I didn't want the light shining in my face. I find that my eyes adjust to dark I can see better if I'm in the dark looking out. Anyway, they are mounted just under the rail right below where I have my rod holders. The white rods shine in the light. I even have a couple of black rods and I can see them good. They are not real bright, but suprisingly and unintentionally they pulled in some bait fish. The ones I have came out of a scrap appliance but I'm sure you can buy something that will work nicely. LED's are real nice about not consuming much power, out lasting bulbs, and not drawing in insects. I have mounted some other LED's inside the boat for moving around and baiting hooks and such, but once I get all the rods out and settle down I switch them off.

4. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I own a couple of the 12v. florescent type black lights, I really don't care for them. They don't seem to put out much light at all. The light fixture has to be pretty much right up against whatever you are wanting to see. The only leds I have tried are the lights that clip on the bill of your hat. They had 5 leds (blacklight) in them, but same deal, not much illuminating at all. The ones that really make stuff glow are the, I believe they are about 18 inches, 110 fixtures. Plug a couple of them into an inverter and things will glow. I take a can of that speciality marking paint, mask me a couple strips off on my pole, and paint them, and they show up good. I have yellow line on my reels, which quickly fades to white, and that is very visible too. The red lights would probably be a good route too. I know I have a headlamp that has red leds, and I like it alot. Good luck, let us know what you decide, and how it works.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Thomas, I'm not really sure what you have done, but if what I picture is correct, you could be in violation of the USCG rules concerning lighting on your boats. Your boat supposedly has red/green navigation lights mounted on the bow... If you have red lights midship you could inadvertently cause a collision. Maybe you can put some blue lights or other colored lights there instead.

6. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    When in doubt, check auto customization, i custom built trucks and cars for 10 years, at one point i had 60 tubes of neon and LED lighting on my truck, you can get LED tubes from 6" all the way up to 48", they run off of 12 volt source, the only thing that has to be done is to put a fuse block and on/off switch thats it, they are completely water proof easily concealed or hidden away, can be mounted various ways as well, also there is alot of manufactures that make single and double LED lights, that have endless mounting possibilities, you can get alot of them at automotive stores from name brand manufactures like Low Glow, Street Glow, Varad, which are the major neon and LED makers, they will be alot cheaper than marine specific LED's and lighting and will work just as good. im going to be purchasing a boat next spring and the lighting going in it will be the type of lighting i explained above, if you want some links i can get you some...

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
  8. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    went to several autoparts stores ended up w/ 4 red led 18" sticks, takin them back tomorrow tried them once it got dark couldnt hardly see my white sneakers gonna look at these sights, saw some cool stuff on superbrightled.com but dont wanna order bunch stuff that wont work, i had heard that bass pro carried a light called nightstalker that worked great, a co-worker few yrs back told me he witnessed this w/ flourescent line white tips and it was amazing, nobody round here sells em anymore, the 18" with suction cups, and i havnt seen 4 myself, if i could find 12v blacklight bulbs i could convert any fixture to run em, thinkin several those lil' blacklight leds on a T BAR on a pole might work shining down from above, its a thought, still at drawing board!!

9. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    hey george are those lights u used those nightstalkers, the ones u dint care 4?? the problem w/me using the inverter is that it would kill my batt in a hour or less running 110 bulbs, i have no way re charging till i get home, and ive just tried those lil cheap inverters, they have probs recharging my 18v dewalt batteries

10. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for posting, Actually the LED's I've mounted on the sides are not red or green they are white but have a slight blueish tent. I do have a green/red nav light in the front. I don't ride around with the LED's on, but I don't think it would be a problem. They are on while anchored and occasionally while drifting. I'm fishing a creek channels in a reservoir and boat traffic is not a big issue.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  12. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    You might try this place. http://www.bluewaterled.com/
    They have some great lights for boats.

Me personally, I've got a 12 V black light, but I rairly use it because I dont like cords running across the boat..I use an LED light on the bill of my cap to use when im baiting up or what ever, then I have a small light that takes 4 AA batteries and is super bright to shine when I need to see where im casting, like in front of a log jam and so forth. I buy the green glow sticks at the dollar store 6 for a dollar for the rigs that I dont have bait clickers on, or for tight lining. Usually I fish from a boat and I have a spotlight and the bow & stern lights. I would like to buy some lights for the front of my boat so I dont have to hold a spotlight while trying to dodge log jams in the river.