Lighting for night fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nightowl, Sep 27, 2007.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    I was wondering what you guys use for nighttime cating.

Right now I'm using a couple of colmen lanterns.

I was wondering if the vibration or noise of a generator sitting in the bottom of the boat would effect the fishing, I know it will depend some on the depth of water im fishing and the amount of noise on the water.

99% of my fishing is done on the Missipi, so you always have the sound of the current and the tugs.

If you have any guide lines or insite please educate me.THANKS:confused2:

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First of all welcome!!!:smile2:I doubt any vibration from a Coleman lantern will cause any problems at all.Many folks feel the tugs cause a bite due to stirring up the bottom and running through schools of baitfish.I spent most of my life fishing by Coleman and nothing conjures up better memories than siting on boat or bank listening to the hissing roar of the lantern,while waiting for a bite.Most of the problems of the world have already been solved through discussions by fishing buddies by lantern light.To bad politicians and religious fanatics dont have time to fish a little.Their furstrations and anger could be worked off just trying to start a Coleman with a bad generator!!!!!!!:angry::crazy::big_smile:I have been using a sectional LED Green light by Optronics lately that I really like.I use two sections and it really lights up my 21ft CC.I mounted it on a SS antenae extension so it is above the Console and it illuminates all 10-12 rods when flatlining or the 4-6 when drift fishing.It also doesnt draw bugs and uses very little power to run.:big_smile:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Turn off the lights. Fewer bugs and you can see just as well once your eyes haver adjusted. Use a head lamp for those times when you need a bit of extra light.

All I use for the most part is the anchor light in my boat, along with a head lamp. I do have a battery-powered spotlight with a small flourescent bulb on it that I'll occasionally use, but most of the time, darker is better.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use a headlamp and a hat clip light as little as possible. They work for me...

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've got to agree with Jim... love that hiss.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with the low-light guys. Can't stand the bugs lights draw. I use a headlight if I need light. If you have a color depthfinder I've found that tilting the screen so it faces my rod rack and turning up the brightness all the way gives me plenty of light to see my rods by. Good Luck!

Branden

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    lights for night fishing??? whatcha tallking 'bout willis???

few things irk Me more then a guy with a head light shining it all over the water. If you need to use a head light for baiting up, or tying rigs fine, but keep that darned thing from shining on the water.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Yessir Brad---And PLEASE don't shine it in my face everytime you turn to talk to me.

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I'm with everyone else. Less light the better. If your fishing for big fish set your drag and clicker accordinly otherwise use a hat light plus nav lights. The warden in the lake we fish in wants our nav light in the back of boat on and that provides plenty of light most of the time. I don't like all those bugs myself.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    the coleman is the first thing i load up:smile2:

11. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    We use blacklights and they light up that solar fishing line like cables on those rods.

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use a third brakelight off a pickup. It turns the stainless steel eyes into little red neon lights. Really looks cool. Draws no bugs. If I need to retie I have a little light to use. I also have two fog lights mounted on the back of my boat. Good for backing down the ramp in the dark and if you get a big fish on at night you can use them to see where he is.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    hat clip light all the way. that and the stern light on the boat are plenty.