lighting for night fishing/ navigating

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by chadinsc, Jul 2, 2017.

1. chadinsc

chadinsc New Member

State:
    upstate sc
    Name:
    Chad
    i have a new jon boat im working in setting up for catfishing and deer hunting. im going to be spending alot of time on water at night. do yall have any suggestions for lights in and around boat? i ordered a small light bar for nose but need a way to see rods and tying knots. thanks

Attached Files:

Catpaw likes this.
  2. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    I just use a headlamp. It works fine and is always shining where you look. There are plenty of lighting options though. Tons of LED options out there, you can make your boat look like a UFO pretty easy with whats available nowdays if you want.
    I never found a need for any of them
    They just attract bugs for me.

riverbud55 likes this.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Also follow any and all light requirements on boats for your state.

skip brown likes this.
  4. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I agree with Chad. I use head lamps. And,, not expensive ones. All mine are LED lights. The use an elastic head bands and two clip on the prime of a hat.

I much prefer using the red light option in either of them unless it just isn't bright enough. The red is much easier on your night vision but if needing to retie, I will go to the low white light setting.

I see boat around with bright lights on them and I appreciate that they are willing to draw all the bugs in their direction and away from me.

I do also have a couple of small (hand sized) LED lantern that I can hang or set in the boat if additional light is needed. Each to their own on lighting but this is what I use.

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

And finally, I have this LED light that still needs to be installed on the nose of the boat. I am not a fan of those that run with bright lights on. All they do is blind everyone else. So use them sparingly to check out a possible obstruction or to load the boat on the trailer. Be extra careful not to bright light others.

IMG_1106.JPG

skip brown and crcanter like this.
  5. mschein1

mschein1 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Matt
    I pulled some KC lights off of an old Toyota I had. Worked great. I have since sold that boat. Thinking about the cheap led lightbars from amazon.

6. Slimeycat1009

Slimeycat1009 Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Lots of cheap led lights on amazon. I got a set of two that are like the name brand Rigid cube lights for the front of my toon. I have the waterproof white led strips under the rails to turn on for netting fish and light up the floor of the toon. I have a set of red led strips around the outside to light up the rods at night. The red doesn't attract bugs. They are also on amazon and cheap. If you don't know how to use a soldering iron they have press connectors for the strips. I will try to get some pics in the next day or so

Catpaw likes this.
  7. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Just remember you get what you pay for with the cheap led light bars.....quality of light and the durability is not present like a true Rigid light bar.

8. Slimeycat1009

Slimeycat1009 Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's true these serve the purpose I have for them. I'm a firm believer in you gfavor t what you pay for. The things that I don't use every trip are the ones I try to be cheap. I work for the Spartanburg county so I have to be. Lol.

9. vortex

vortex Twirlygig

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Luke
    Red at night. Always. Saves your night vision, doesn't attract bugs.

If you need more, try a blue, yellow, or green. Less or no bugs compared to white.

If you need to see your lines, use orange (or high vis) line and a blacklight.

Dagger004 and twaskom like this.