Lightest Line Used for Panfishing

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by festus, Jan 22, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

What's the lightest pound test monofilament you've ever used for panfish? I've gone as low as 2 lb. test for bluegill, shellcracker, redbreast sunfish, redeye(rock bass), and green sunfish in open water. However this line seems to get harder to find. Most of the time I used this for fishing with 1-1/2" Rebel minnow lures, the 1-1/2" Rebel crawfish crankbaits, 1-1/2 cricket crankbait, or maybe 1/64 oz-1/32 oz jigs or Trout Magnets. I have also fished for trout with 2 lb. test in uncluttered clear water. That stuff casts great.

If fishing for crappie, I upsize to at least 4 lb test for open water and tiny crankbaits, 1/16 oz jigs, or the tiny Rat-L-Traps. If I'm fishing brushpiles with minnows, I think it's best to use at least 6 lb. test or even 8 or 10 lb. test.

Once I saw Bill Dance on his TV program fishing with 1 lb. test. He was catching bream up to 1/2 pound and small largemouth about 8" to 10" in an open water pond using tiny curly tail grubs. Talk about setting a loose drag, man! I've never seen one pound test for sale.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I was just looking at bass pro today at 1lb test...I only seen it in the ice fishing line section...I usually use 6 lb..Becasue im scared i will hook into a kitty and loose it on 4...I have got 5lb catfish on jigs and small spinners fishing for crappie

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The lightest line I use for Pan fish is 4# test. I sometimes go as high as 8-10# on crappie depending on the area and structure I'm fishing.

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Probably about 6# for me. If you can't see it, you can't tie it. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:flag:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I used as low as 2# ,But prefer 4 # it works great for me out here ,so that's what i've stuck with.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    six is lowest i'll go.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have 2lb test on my micro lite. I was fishing for crappie one time and caught a 8lb wiper on it. Man that reel screemed several times before I finally landed it. On my other poles I use 8lb ccx and works great even for lite lining cats when feel like a challenge.

8. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have always used 4lb and its been a winner for years..

9. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    2# here, even landed an 81/2 lb channel with it, but prefer to use 4lb.

10. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    4lb, anything less just seems to risky for me.

11. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Man ,
    I have been using 4 or 6 lb Mr Crappy for the last couple of years,, but a always fight line twist before the line actually wears out so im going to give the U/L braides a shot Power Pro makes a 8lb line thats the same size as 2 lb mono and there should be no line twist with the braid...I have been using 20lb power pro on my skippy rod "spinning" and love it so im really interested to see how it works on my U/L
    You might look into it, higher LB with less size...
    Puddle

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I usually have 4 lb on my microlight,6-8 lb on my ultra light and 8-10 on my other light rods,No other reason,than they all cast best with those . I loose a few big fish,but thats why its called fishing. I dont even bother with setting the drags on the lightest,just crank em down and leave em there.

13. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I don't mess with the lighter line at all, flouracarbon line is invisable to fish and it works, all my rods are loaded with it, well almost, it works great

14. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Bob,
    What kind dop you use, I tried it and had a ton of problems with it...spent more time getting t to cast than fishing...
    Puddle

15. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    I use cajun red in 4# does what I want just fine.

16. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I usually go with 4-6lb test mono, but this year I am switching to 10 lb Suffix Braid, 4lb diamater. good stuff. In fact I will be using Suffix Braid on everything, crappie,cats, and walleye..
    BTW I just found you can go to Sufix website and download a $$$ saving coupon, get back $6 to 10 bucks .

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Bo and never use anything less than 8#. That's the lightest line we have in the house.

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I use 30# Power Pro. It is on my M action ugly stik. I also use that for larger Drum and some catfish. I want to get an Ultralite this year just for panfish. I'll probably use 4 - 6# on it.

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Some of the ole timers that fish the docks here for crappie actually use sewing thread and 1/64th jigs. I have tried it but it does break awful eaasy.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    4lbs is the lightest I like to mess with. Lighter line can be a real pain to spool, tie, etc.