Lighted Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was recently in my favorite bait shop and saw a rod that was fiberglass that had a switch that would make the hole rod light up!!! I thought hmmm night fishing problems are over till the owner told me it was hollow all the way to tip!! Anyone have one of these rods?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    arnt most rods hollow all the way to the tip?

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Once again my brain stopped functioning!!! Thankyou!!!

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If it's one of those Berkley Glowsticks then they are some good rods from what I hear. I'd like to try a couple of them.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL, yea brain fart again yote..... oh well, I have seen the I think it was the Berkly had a fiber optic set up in it and batteries in the handle....... Would be great I guess but I just know if i got one it wouldn't last..LOL! Or the "Light Saber" would take over in the boat!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

I always thought about a heated handle my-self ya know like them socks that never work! lol

6. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I believe you saw a Berkley Glowstik. I have a 10' and a 9', both casting rods. I recently caught a 4' sturgeon on the 10' rod, during the day. A 4' sturgeon probably weighs about 30lbs. The rod was bent very close to 180 degrees, fishing out of a boat, as the fish sounded. No creaking or groining out of the rod, just me.

The Berkley Glowstik's glow so well, without the lights on, that you can see it well at night. I typically don't use the ligths until I'm walking down the trail and need a lighted walking stick.

These rods are well built, with an abundance of guides on them to make the "E"-Glass work. There have been comments about the top eye groving from variou lines. I just checked my rods and I don't see any evidence of groving. I'm using Berkley Fireline on both rods.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was looking at them over the weekend but had doubts about them. Thanks for the info, just might get one now, not bad priced from what I remember.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah that would be the Glowstick Rod you saw. (unless there is a copy cat lol)I think its a pretty decent rod myself. About the same quality you get for a similar rod in that price range and you get the added Glow. I have only caught a few channels on it nothing worth bragging about but it performed well. Not stiff but not sloppy either.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally think the 7 footers may be a little too light, but I like the 8 footers. I would trust them on a 20# Flathead or Blue. Now 30-40# may be pushing it. They'd handle any channel cat thats for sure.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    It was The Berkley Glowstik, it was at BPS. It was a little limp but for the pond I fish it would work. Nothing over 10# there. I usually bring my battery lantern so I guess I would save on that cost alone. Thanks Alot.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yea its not bad I agree with H20 mellon. The rod is probably meant for anything under 25lb range or so. It has backbone I wouldn't want to tangle with anything larger than that as it isn't quite stiff enough...Just my two cents though...

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats what it is but action seems very stiff!!

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've caught up to 40 lb blues on my glowsticks. They work just fine. But they have a habit of breaking if you have to change out a tip. Not sure what they use for tip glue, but it won't easily melt. The lights seem to quit very fast according my friends that have them too. I have never used the battery powered lights. If you leave the glowstick out in the sun all day when you're gonna use it, it will glow like a lightstick most of the night. So I couldn't see a need for the lights. I have went back to my Quantum Big Cat rods. Just paint the last foot of the rod at the tip Snow White and it works great.

14. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    a friend of mine has 2 of the 8' Berkely Glow Sticks and he likes them. while he was sleeping 1 night, trying not to wake him up (LOL), i brought in a flathead that weighed 45# and the rod did great. he has problems with the lights on one of them not working half the time though.

HEY.... if you fall asleep fishing with us, your rods become community property! :big_smile:

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    High beam blue lazer light by High Tech Fishing.I have this little light that I got from Catfish Connection item number HTLL for $2.95 that does a good job of charging up my Glowsticks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bryan.I am asking for a opinion in case of future need.Do you think it would be better to cut off the tip by sawing the rod in two rather than melt it off and subjecting the rod to such heat?I am thinking that it might be better to lose a inch than damage the rod with excessive heat and have it break later.What do you think?Thanks.I love you Brother.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    sounds like it would work better as long as the rod isnt to big behind the place where the tip eye was. ive only bought the one size of tip for fishing rods everytime ive had to buy a new one. havnt took the time to see if they have bigger sizes where i live. good idea tho.

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have carried a very wide assortment of different size tips for many years in my tackle box.When I use one size,I replace it and keep my assortment ready for the next time.This has saved me and others quite a few times over the years.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee