Lighted, flagging noodle

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jtrew, Dec 4, 2007.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer to use 2-liter soda jugs instead of foam noodles, but I came up with this idea for making a noodle light up when it's flagging. The sketch is of the pvc that slided through the piece of foam noodle, and the jugline is attached to the end with the two screws, just like normal. When there's a bite, the noodle tips and the rebar slides down to the bottom, again, just like normal. The only change is the addition of the screws, wires, battery, and light/LED. Please let me know what you think; will it work, or not.

Attached Files:

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Looks like it might work Jerry..Is there some kind of stop for the re bar to hit before it hits the battery?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I didn't envision one, because the jug shouldn't tip that way while fishing. I guess it might be a real good idea to have something like that while transporting them, though. All you would need to do would be to glue a piece of foam on that end of the rebar.

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, sure looks like it would work. For sure it would simple to test a mock-up at the kitchen sink!

Good idea!:big_smile:

Bill

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jerry,
    I like to use the glow sticks for night jugging and red flags for the daytime. The glow sticks can easly be pushed into the top of the foam noodle, and will stay lit all night . On a clear night you can see a jug standing up with a glow stick on it for about 1/8 mile. You can buy them on e-bay.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Plans and pics Jerry. Library if we have those. Sounds to me like a good idea. Might take a bit or creative waterproofing, but should work good. Good sketch. Now include a working prototype with pics. And this will go into the library. Thanks.

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Why couldn't you use a small spring at the contact points to absorb the shock of the rebar but alowing the weight of it to complete the curcit.
    Loop

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't really see needing any kind of shock absorber at the contact end. All that's there are a couple of screw heads, and I don't think you're going to damage them with a piece of rebar sliding down the pvc pipe. The other end of the rebar hitting the battery just might conceivably cause some minor damage, so gluing a little piece of foam to that end of the rebar might be a good thing.

9. plbrooks

plbrooks New Member

State:
    Okalahoma
    The diagram shown for using rebar to make contact for a light it great. That was my first prototype years ago and its almost impossible to make it water tight without exposing
    wires to the rebar sliding up and down against the wires or the elements. You can make a metal sleeve to replace ground wire but the cost will kill you. Either way won't work on a mass production scale. Although there is a product we have designed after years of headache to make this work. Check it out -> www.katkandle.com

10. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I think with a little tinkering it could work...I made one a few years ago but I put a normally open, momentary pen switch in the bottom that the rebar would push closed to light the light..But I got bored working with it and it ended up in the corner somewhere. LOL