Lighted fishing pole - does anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Phlogus, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Phlogus

Phlogus New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was in a tackle shop here in Topeka last night and saw a two piece catfish pole that is white with a blue led light in it. Has anyone used these yet? What did you think of the light? Were the poles sturdy? In the shop it was lit and I didn't think much of them. The poles were pretty stiff but I thought they looked like they would be easy to break at the joint.... I still might buy one to try out.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You gotta remember, most of the fishing tackle in stores is there to catch the fisherman, not the fish. Sounds like they may have a nibble with you. lol

On the serious side though, it may have it's place in fishing. After all, the plastic cork, bobber, float, or that red and white thing, at one time was a novelty in the stores. If you won't miss the money, buy it... you may like it and at the least you'd learn something.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    The only rods that I know of that fit the discription you gave is the Berkley Glow Stick...since I don't own one someone else will have to help you as far as quality...how about it folks...anyone own Berkley Glow Sticks that can give some feedback to this young feller?:)

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I have one, the rod is glow in the dark 9' med heavy takes 2 AAA bats and works great for pier fishing when the rod is up. Catfishing you almost don't need it because I lay my rods down so the clicker or baitrunner is pulled easier. without the batteries the rod glows great and it has a cork handle which is my favorite. make sure you like the action because that's the most important thing.

5. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I seen one of those lighted poles looks pretty cool but didn't like the action and didn't feel very reliable.

6. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive got a berkley glowstick and i love it it is the best rod i have ever used it is really strong and i have put it through alot it glows really well the action is a little bit stiff but i dont have a problem with it i actually like a stiffer action, i strongly recomend it!

7. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    My brother girlfriend got one of those glow sticks. It worked well up until that 48 or 45 pound blue (cant remember for sure) Now the rod only lights up half way. But still hold up the test of big cats,

8. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    they probably just broke a bulb in it they can be replaced and it also glows without the lights

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I own 3 of the Berkley Glowsticks. They are a pretty decent rod. My only complaint about the way they light up is that there are 2 bulbs. One is right above the handle and the other is in the middle where the the 2 pieces of the rod go together. The tip of the rod isn't lit up very well and that is the part that needs lit up the most. If they could redesign the bulb locations and move the bulb from above the handle up to the tip area it would be great. I still like the rods just wish the tip was more visible. SIZE]

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can see where a rod like that would be nice if it's a spinning rod, but most revolving spool reels have a clicker. Someone on the board came up with a neat idea if you want to be able to step away from your rods; pick up a baby monitor at a garage sale. They come in a 2 unit set; one for the nursery (next to the rods); and one to keep wherever you are. Lets you relax back at the campfire, tent, or wherever, but still be able to hear the clicker when it goes off.

11. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Dad use to have one tell someone stol it out the back of his truck one knight but it worked great for him. If you have the $ I would go for it.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes I use a lighted fishing rods.

It cost me 12 cents per night per pole....8" glow sticks taped to them.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just because it glows doesn't make it weaker. All they did was put some phosphorescent powder in the resin that makes up the fiberglass. Most fishing rods are hallow ,they just utilized this and put a little wire and a LED inside. You can buy the powder off of the Internet and paint the tips of all your poles, but it is very expensive. I just got a ten footer this winter and am going to test it out this Saturday. I hope I can give it a good test.:) lol

14. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I bought a Berkley glow-stick and was disappointed in where the bulb placement is in the rod. It comes with two lights in the pole and they are both in places no one who fishes would put them. All they had to do was have one light at the very tip and where is the one place they don't have a light... the very tip. I don't know where they fish, but where I fish we watch the tip of the pole not the middle or base of the pole. I wouldn't buy another one until they hire someone who fishes to help them out a little bit. I would hate to be the person who told them where to place the lights as fisherman might have a suggestion on where to place the entire rod...ouch. lol :eek:
    Seems like you would of drawn up your plans and then talked to people who night fish and got some serious input. I'm sure people on this site would be glad to help them out a bit. It does seem like a good pole, well built and handles fish nicely but it just has a little light problem.

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I thought the lights don't have to be on while using it. You can simply turn the on to charge it, the LED light charges the phosphorates in the rod and that causes it to glow. Maybe i'm wrong, but if i'm right then u should simply be able to take out a cheap LED flashlight to charge the light tips if you don't like the bulb placement.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The lights on the Glowstick Rods don't have to be on and yes they will glow but they are not very bright. When the lights are on the rods are much easier to see but as already stated the tip area is not lighted very well and I still end up taping a 8" glowstick to the rod thus defeating the whole purpose. These are still nice rods for Catfishin' they just need to move the bottom bulb up to the rod tip area.