Lighted and /or florescent bobbers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chinook, Oct 11, 2005.

1. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know you can see these really well, but can you still catch fish with them or do they spook fish? I fish mainly for channel cats. Been thinking about trying the florescent ones although I assume they are harder to see. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no. they wont spook fish. i very seldom bobber fish but do sometimes in farm ponds. i lost a 1.5" glowstick off a bobber once about 4 feet out in shallow water last year. something swam up and took off with it. no kidding. couldn't tell what, it was pretty dark. but i watched it wiggle and start to move then after a foot or so it dissappeared in the blink of an eye.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    my cat waters are too muddy for them to scare fish unless it ws set at an inch. lol i fished them for bass in mildly stained waters and had a few more dropped baits,so i would say water clairity would determen the answer to your question chinkook. just my 2 cents though too.

4. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    We have a small area off of the main bay that is great for bobber fishing i always use a lighted yellow one never seems to spook the fish and is a real neet sight when taken under and away from you. :) :)

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use the small silver battery lights . i use elect, tape and tape them to the top om a cigar float. you can see them a long ways off and it has never seemed to hurt my fishing.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My son-in-law used one of those one night. he did pretty good! caught several cats around two pounds.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when those lightsticks first came out they were meant to be attached close to the hook to attract fish, so i guess they will attract fish. never tried it though. i always use the 3 inch lightsticks and fish about 3 to 6 ft deep, dont seem to bother a hungry fish. just remember to tape up the lower half of the lightstick with black electrical tape. keeps most of the light from shining down into the water.

8. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    my biggest flat head came on a lighted float

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use those battery powered bobbers all the time. I use shad, minnows, crawlers, shrimp and crawdads. The lighted bobber pole is my 3rd pole I fish with at night.

10. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I use glowsticks and battery powered bobbers all the time, and catch plenty of fish on them... which reminds me of a funny story.

We had the boat pulled up on shore in a small cove, and I was fishing on the bottom about 6 feet from shore with a doughball for bait and a slip bobber with a glowstick on it. I had left my rod laying on the back of the boat because all the rod holders were full and I needed to rig another pole. My buddy said "better not leave that there" and I said "it will be OK for a minute". A couple minutes later I was still rigging my second pole when I heard ZZZZZZZZzzzsplash. Bye bye pole.

I could see my bobber just under the surface, and it was getting further and further away from the boat. We watched the glowing light for a couple a minutes as it danced around the cove just under the surface, it was some distance away from the boat but never strayed more than 50 yards or so. We watched and watched and I said "I guess it's not a fish that is big enough to drag that pole all the way out". We watched it some more and never lost sight of it, so my buddy said "I will get your pole back".

He tied a giant treble hook on to his biggest cat pole and started casting toward the light. After about 10 tries he snagged it and reeled it in, he handed my pole back to me and said "told ya". I reeled in my line and the fish was still on, it was about a 2 pound carp. It was pretty amusing.

And if I wasn't using a lighted bobber, I probably never would have seen the pole again.

11. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Maybe we should start attaching them to the rods incase a big'un (or little un) get a hold of the pole and takes in it. Redneck tracking device any1?

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey James...... Same thing happened to me at the Central California Gathering last year. Pole pulled into the water. Watched the bobber all night go up and down the river :cursing: I finally went to bed and caught that same dog gone fishe the next day in the afternoon :eek: Got the 8# channel, my pole and bobber back. Sure glad brothers were arounmd to see it. ;)

13. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use the the lighted one for crappie,bass, and bluegill. They seem to work real well. I think the light attracts them, some also that make noise to attract fish. I also used it as a slip bober for channel myself seemed to work reel well.

People always talk about drawing in the bait fish that little light might not get it done but it couldn't hurt :)

good luck on the water!

Josh

14. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Have any of you guys ever used the "bobber with a brain"? My dad used them a couple of times. They can be used with a sinker and require no line stopper because it does it on its own. Pretty cool idea. Just never tried one myself...

15. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I saw an article on the "Bobber with a brain" in In-Fisherman. It looks pretty neat. I was also wondering if anyone's ever used it.

16. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I'll do a review on it this weekend. Bought it for Christmas, and finally going to use it.
    Will