Light Up Your Tip, Without Lighting Up The River!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a simple thing you can add to any of your rods to give them a more illumination in the dark! It works really well for boaters, and especially those that like to scatter their poles for a long distance on the bank! Go to your local Napa or automotive store, ask them for reflective tape. It comes usually in a small role. This tape is designed for temporary repair for brake lights, and other red/ white lights. My favorite color is white, however I use red as well. The tape is extremely sticky, and i clean the section of the rod im gonna place it on with rubbing alcohol first. Measure and cut the tape accordingly to the diameter of the section of rod you wish to place. I always overlap it slightly to insure it is secure. You can add to a simple section between the rod tip and the first eyelet, or even add a second section like I have to the second or third eye. The more you add the easier it will show with even the smallest of light shined to them for reflection. For those of you that add glowsticks to your rod tips, and have them really nice ones that our BOC sponsor Gene sells, this works great! If I'm bankfishing I can sit a long ways away and send a simple, quick stream of light down the bank and catch each rod tip with this tape immediately, without having to keep a light on very long, or even using a high powered lamp! If you have never tried to add reflective tape to your rods, it is something I would consider a great idea. Even if you are like me, and fish in the dark for flatheads, its still nice to get a quick glance every now and then. This tape will last for years, and will give you that added advantage on them dark nights!!..goodluck rollo

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds good, i'll try it.

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catfih Rollo thats agood idea.
    Going to try it also!

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    good job:cool2:

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good idea ,have used it before and it does great

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Good idea, thanks for sharing. I thought about applying white arrow wraps to the end of the rods but never thought about reflective tape.:0a24::0a31:
    Which one of the Kentucky boys told you about it? :smile2::eek:oooh::crazy::roll_eyes::smile2::byebye:
    Thanks
    David

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some, but not all kantucky boys might be behind the ohio folks! LOL!.. Deerhunter01, saved me a pile of money and found me a nice fishfinder, the cheapest i have saw yet!! rollo:wink:

9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you love your rods so much that you are afraid to tape them, you can wrap a straw in reflective tape, and then cut the straw longways so it will curl around your rod tip. Keep a few of those in your tackle bag and no worries.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good idea i have used glow sticks a few time they work good. Never thought of the reflective tape.

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Great info thanks for the tip

12. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Have used both glow sticks and reflective tape and the tape seems to work best. You only have to apply the tape once but those sticks just dont last forever. With the price of gas got to save any way you can.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I actually have used that tape on large floats, it works pretty good..

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I usually use the glow sticks. The downfall is the castability of a rod with a bracelet wrapped around it. Also, it is pretty simple for the MAN to see if there are two fisherfolk on the shore and 18 glowing rings, you'll probably warrant unwanted attention..... Not that anyone here would advocate something illegal. I may try it with the straw idea.

Thanks for the tip..... pun intended.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Been there done that a good twenty years ago. I marked every thing. I put it on my rod holders, rod tips, rod butts, beer cozies, cigarette lighter, lantern, tackle box, man I had a piece of reflective tape on every thing I took to the river and some of it's still on! Thats some supper tape. Any way, that was back when I was fish camping not fish fishing. I keep every thing I need next to me and sit directly behind my units with glow sticks. If I were going to do something illegal like put more rods down the bank, I wouldn't want the law shining their light down there and investigating those strange luminescent things bouncing up and down! lmao:eek:oooh::crazy::wink:

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use the light sticks all the time. Never thought about reflective tape before.

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Good idea, i use it on my jugs also. For my rods I use berkeley big game high vis. w/a black light, it really makes that line glow in the dark!!!!Just a thought----

18. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    JFYI - Guys we have a new company coming on with glow wraps ( about 3 inches long each), that will be selling them for the ends of your rods, there will also be a display of them on a seminar that will be put up on the BOC in a video here today some time, we have two sponsors here now that sell them Steve Brown - Catfish Safari and TTI blakemore and the company that is coming on with us is "Team Catfish" but the products are neat, got to see them at the St Louis Sport and Boat show. And you get three per package, each rod you can put one glow wrap or two or three if you want they are activated by sun light or a light and last 6 hours, pretty neat. (They go right between the eyes wrapping around and don't interfere with your fishing line you can leave them on forever and just hit them with a flashlight to activate them any time)

And of course you can get glow sticks from our one and only Gene Chambers, Wild Wolf Products for the ends of your rods. Just keep our sponsors in mind when buying your products that's what keeps this place going with member give aways ans support to the BOC.

Thanks guys

D/H

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is a great idea. i have never thought of that one! gonna have to try it, thanks phil......rollo

20. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jason thanks for the post thats a good idea!!