Light up Rod holders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Boomer, May 8, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A few years ago at Keystone Dam, I started something, dont know why I had to start it, looked like a simple solution to me. Down there at the outlet, they have a guard rail and usually the water was running swift, so you needed some kind of rod holder. I got some PVC and cut it into 2 foot sections, and used 100 mph tape to tape it to the posts, I also used those sections to stuff inbetween rocks at other places.

Well, I am night fisherman for cats, so I went a little further, and added LEDs these were powered by a single 9 volt battery screwed into the side of the PVC pipe, and a spring on the inside that closed the circuit when you had a bite. They worked great, the only issue I had was that when they werent running alot of water you had to have a really good hit to light up the lights. I found some spring tensioners, that would work great, just never added them. I tried everything, bells, reflective tape, just didnt seem to work good, but I tell you those little LED's sure lit up the area.....

I think my total investment was about 7-10 bucks, not counting the cheap flashlight I had on hand to get the spring and other parts I needed for the trigger mechanism.

My question is, is there anyone out there with a good software, that could do up some plans for me? I can e-mail you a rough drawing..... I am not looking to make any money off this, just something I can post here for everyones use....

I sold those 2 rod holders for 20 bucks, when I was down there my last time.....a guy out of OKC bought them.

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I hope someone can get that drawn out real good for ya! Sounds like a cheap and easy bite detector! Reps for comin' up with it!

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will work on it, get a working copy out with some directions, I think I will simplify it a little and go with AAA batteries, instead of the 9V I used, plus AAA batteries are a little cheaper.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a real good idea.You,ll have to post some pics next time your putting some together.:big_smile:

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Great idea! If you could think of a way for it to be waterproof/rain proof that would be a winner in my book.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I wish I could help, but I am lucky I am smart enough with compters to make a post.:smile2:
    Lookin forward to the plans though.:wink:

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am working on it still, I guess I will have to try and either draw it free hand and scan it or use paint, and that aint working out to well.

8. Cody King

Cody King New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sounds like a good idea. some pics would be appreciated.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Way to go Gary, Hope someone can help.

Danny

10. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    im no pro on drawings, but i like to mess around with CAD alot.. send me an email with some dimensions, a rough sketch, and what not, ill see what i can get goin for you.. if i cant figure it out, im sure bnorth can.. he is pretty good with drawings..

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary reps on a great idea. Thanks.

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will be home in 2 weeks, around the 20th of June time frame, and Kyleco has offered to help me with this project. I should be able to get him the rough drawings and he is going to do it up in something better than paint. I think I still have one of them left at home, if the wife hasnt sold it in a garage sale. So at least you can see the end product and see how it works.

I am also going to try and figure out a way to mount one in a boat, and make sure it works. What I might do is go ahead and build 2 types, one for bank fishing and one for a boat, that way we have everyone covered at once, and submitt pictures, of the building process to go along with the drawings and explanations on it.