Light Tackle Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WylieCat, Mar 22, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I caught some nice 2-4 pound fish this afternoon on a friends light spinning tackle and I am kinda hooked.

What type of spinning reels do you guys suggest for light tackle fishing?

I want something made strong enough to handle a fight in case I hook onto something larger by accident, but not an ocena casting reel!!!

2. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    WylieCat,

Although there are a lot of really good spinning reels for light tackle work these days. I personally prefer the Shimano reels, equipped with the fighting drag. Since, it can "sort of" be used like the Shimano baitrunner reels. But, the smallest of the Shimano baitrunners is still quite a bit large for what I would consider to be a light tackle reel.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Personally I use Shimano Ultralite reels and I have a few Okumas. I've used several but they didn't hold up very long.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I just got a shimano ultralight reel today and have to say so far it's the best small reel I've ever owned. I love it!:) I fished with it for a few hours and caught a few decent fish, it's nice and smooth!

5. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I agree with the other posters. I too use Simano ultralight reels, and I really enjoy them.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree on the shimano's. they are very good reels, and arent expensive. stay away from the rear drag ones though, the drags are nowhere near as good as the front-of-the-spool drags.