Light tackle for bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 14, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How many guys use ultra light tackle for bass ? What are your setups? I think this is great practice for fighting the big whiskers!!! Share with us your ideas!!:big_smile:

2. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    Got to love a 4lb bass on 4lb test. I couldn't agree more with you. I love to fish bass with light gear. My prefered set up is an ultralite ugly stik with a shimano sahara 750fb hanging under it. i love the versitility (bass, trout, suns, crappie, small cat and carp, perch......) of the rig as well as the "connection" you feel with every movement. I will use it as long as there is no heavy vegetation around for them to hang up in. True hooksets can be tough to get sometimes without the stiffness but the payoff when you get one is well worth it.

what do like to use?

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd like to use lighter tackle, but since I've started tournament fishing again it's simply not an option most times I'm out on the water. I still do scale down and fish 8lb line and a wacky worm or little jighead with a straight tail worm on it, but when you have a fish break you off minutes before weigh-in that costs you hundreds of dollars, you start using the big stuff. I used to fish 14lb on my frog rod now all I roll with is 30lb braid. If you're in the heavy stuff you've got to use heavy stuff to get them out unless you're Guido Hibdon(spelling).

Don't get me wrong though when I'm fishing ponds and such I do use lighter line and I used to love carp fishing back home with 4lb test. Those guys would put a whooping on an UL rod! My little brother uses 1/2oz Snag Proof Tournament frogs on 4lb line in lilly pads all the time and catches the crap out the bass on it. He breaks some off, but he catches a lot more than he looses.

4. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what i do is take an ultra lite ulgy stick and rell combo and tie on a fly this works great olny with big flys and 2-6pound test it will cast 7 feet and half the time the hook sets it self:wink::cool2:

5. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    another thing i do is get some minnows tie on a hook and rig the minnow texas style u know though the head out the body and just cast out and reel in i ve done this on medium action and caught 6 7 and 9 pounders if u have any more questions about my rig post me:wink:

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I like to Ultra-Light fish, my current setup is an Ugly Stik Lite Pro, 5 footer, with an Abu Garcia C101 spooled with 6lb spider wire mono (need to switch to 4 lb Cajun line though). Using small setups, I repeatedly set the hook 2-4 times to ensure a positive hookup, I love to throw small crappie spinners at finicky bass, let it sink slow for 4-5 seconds, give it a quick reel to take the slack out of the line, let it sink for a second or two, and then a medium speed retreive with a couple jerks on the retreive in, most bass find it irresistable in the warm water! Just as SudDawg, he knows how well my technique works, the only way he could catch bass was on shiners! :smile2: :smile2:

Aaron

TA2D

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like to use a small 4'6" ultralight rod with a tiny reel and 4# line. I'll toss 4" wacky worms or a small crickhopper. I also catch some dandy bluegills with this rig.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like to use a ultra light with 4lb test line my favrite lure with this is a 1/8 onuce rooster tail or road runner my p.b. with this a 5lb 3 large mouth on bull shoals lake in AR

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well it did work at the farm pond. Of course I'm guessing that Channel Cat you caught on that "crappie spinner" was an anomally. :smile2:

SudDawg

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i love to use a 4'6" bass pro rod ($11) and a tiny lite bass pro reel ($14) with the cheapest 2ib or 4ib test, caught a 30ib carp on 4ib test, i love fishin with em with light line, lot more fun the reelin them in as fast as u can