Light source on boat for night fishing.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by CatSlayer715, Aug 5, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    What do yall use for a good light source on your boats when youre night fishing?? what do yall use for power??

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    On our boats we use a coleman 2-phase lantern.:wink:

3. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i hear that black lights are good, because they dont mess with your eyes, and you could probably use a marine battery for it

4. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Most guys use LED Lights...usually Green or Red...Red has the least amount of effect on Nightvision. Some guys use black lights to make their flourescent fishing line glow nad make it more visable. They run them off marine deep cycle batteries. Some people just stick to keep LED Headlamps, and using them as needed to tie rigs or see things.

5. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I saw a good idea using green or red led s. They don't mess up your night vision and hopefully don't attract bugs:crazy:

6. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I USE THOSE SHOP LIGHTS WITH THE GAURD AROUND THE LIGHT AND A CLAMP ON THEM. I USE A 12 VOLT DC BULB AND HOOK IT UP TO MY MARINE BATTERY. IT WILL LAST MORE THEM 12 HRS. U CAN CLAMP IT ANYWHERE U WANT. U CAN FIND 12 VOLT BULBS AT
    A PARTS STORE.LOOKS LIKE A REGURAL LIGHT BULB.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I got a green led light off ebay ,it's about 16 in.long an about 1 in square ,runs off 12 volt just clipp to battery .Puts out good light an doesn't attract bugs bad. we just lay it on top off windsheild an grab rail around windsheild,but u can move it anywhere in boat if u want to .This has worked good for us :wink:

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    My stern light is 4 foot tall, and mounted on the back corner brace at the transom. This puts off plenty of light for me. If I need more light, i always carry my 4 cell maglight.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    We have rigged 2 poles 7 ft. high that hang off the bow and stern of the boat out over the water . We put hooks in them and hang northstar lanterns from them . Most guys dont want that much light but it works for us and keeps the bugs 7 ft. away .

10. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    We have been making the switch to green and blue line on our rods and use black lights. The ones we have been using aren't the cheapest things, but they have 4 leds and have suction cups on the bottom. So far this is the best thing we have used.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got some battery operated blacklights and led stick on lights. But will put in some hard wired leds when i get the chance.

12. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I am needing to get me some lights also, will just keep looking at what some of the members come up with. Bulldogboogers use some sort of light poles. think i will hit him up to see where he gets his.

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have a fancy coleman 2 mantle. nothing like fire on a boat:wink:

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ah yes! The smell of roasting skeeters on a warm foggy night!

Better yet, the pile of little bloodsucker corpses in the morning!! :big_smile:

15. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use a red compact florescent light bulb. Gives me enough light to see without effecting my night vision. Also, red does not attract bugs. I use an led headlamp for when I need more light.

16. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I never have bought the idea that you can't catch fish with light on your boat. I use some 12 volt floresents that I got from work. Water proof and almost destruction proof. Draws very little amps and hooked to a 12 volt trolling battery 2 will burn for several nights before needing recharged.I have 1 mounted to a seat pedisatal and 1 I drop over the side. I have caught a lot of nice cats over the years directly under a light.

Attached Files:

17. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    John
    I have great successs with a three-pack of "stick-on" led lights I got at Wally World for $16 for the three - they use two AA batteries, you tap them on high, tap to low, tap to off. They come with stick-on velcro so you can mount them most anywhere, and the emitters are on a bit of a swivel so you can angle the light. I stuck one in my cargo hold, and one underneath each of my fore-and-aft fishing chairs - just enough light for rig-tying, etc.

18. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Superbrightleds.com has a ton of cool lighting products for a boat. Check em out.

19. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
  20. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I am going to be mounting two fog lights from a car, one on a pole in the back pointing at the middle of the boat and one under the navi front lights (green/red). I won't keep them on all the time due to bugs.

I use a hat light too that my dad got me when we were in warsaw missouri seeing my grandpa. Its awesome.

You can get a good light setup (not including navi lights) for a small boat that runs on 12volt for under 50$ including 2 lights and wires and connectors. Look on ebay for 12 volt lights in the auto part of ebay.

One last thing. I have a spot light from cabelas that died on me. Battery don't keep a charge, ima be opening it up and do a direct hardwire to the marine battery. Its got a threaded hole for mounting.

Hope this is helpful!