LIGHT ROD BUT HEAVY BRAID

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Sep 1, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    STRIPER SEASON IS COMMNG UP AND IM THINKING ABOUT TRYING A DIFFERENT METHOD........

WHEN I WAS CARPING OVER THE SUMMER I SETUP A POLE WITH 30 LB BRAID.......

IT WAS KINDA FUN BECASUE IT WAS A LIGHT ROD BUT BRAIDED LINE.....

SUPER SENSITIVE WITH THE BRAID AND SMALL POLE.....

IM PROBABLY GOING TO DO A 6'6 MEDIUM COMBO FROM OKUMA

KINDA LIKE THE THOUGHT OF CATTING WITH THIS SETUP :smile2:

ANYONE ELSE DO OR TRY THIS ???????

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    GUESS NOT.?.?.?.?:smile2:

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Leroy, the light tackle thing is always fun but when you get a pole snapping fish you will wish you came more prepared, I know it has to do with the fisherman,line,drag,ect but it does happen to the best of fisherman, I like the ol saying, "it is better to over do it than under do it"
    but if your in it for the fun and not the trophy rock on! that sounds like a fun setup:wink:

4. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Try the bps 6'3" IM6 GS63XHT EX-Hvy Act. 5/8-4oz. 14-40lb.line. It's a musky rod put some 30lb. line on it with a baitcaster and you are set! I have 3 of them that way works great for me! That way you do not break you pole when you get the big one on.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I WAS THINKING MORE ALONG THE LINE OF MANUFACTUREROKUMASTYLE OF ROD6'6" SPINNING, MEDIUMNUMBER OF PIECES2LINE WEIGHT6-15 LB.LURE WEIGHTNOT AVAILABLESTYLE OF REELSPINNINGDRAGFRONTBEARINGSNOT AVAILABLEANTI-REVERSEON/OFFSPOOL CAPACITY130 YDS/8#OUR STOCK NUMBEROKMT66OTHER INFORMATIONDESIGNED AND BALANCED PERFECTLY TO GOFROM BIG WATER TO FRESH WATER.PRE-SPOOLED, GEAR RATIO 5.0:1,NUMBER OF GUIDES: 4 + TIPTOTAL HANDLE LENGTH: 16" FOAM
    THIS WILL PEOBABLY BE FOR STRIPER FISHING ONLY SO I THINK ILL TRY IT......... THE 30 LB BRAID IS ONLY FOR HOGGING OUT STRIPERS FROM THE BOAT PROP

IDK..... IT SEEMS LIKE A NEAT THING TO TRY SO I THINK ILL ATLEAST TRY IT

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I often use line heavier than the rod is rated for. You just have to be careful that you don't set your drag too heavy. When possible, I prefer to set my drag on shore before I ever load the rod into the boat. I attach the line to something solid, like the bumper of a vehicle, back off 40'-50', and pull. I start out with the drag set pretty light, and increase it till I've got a really good bend in the rod; then I leave the drag alone.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The combo you have described should be able to land some decent sized fish, especially with the heavier line. What size stripers will you be targeting???? Will you be using artificials such as Jigs and plastics or casting out live or cut baits???:big_smile:

8. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    Think about this i had no 17 lb line so i went fishing with 150lb brad i just got back from sharking
    and my bro got a 35lb flathead and we had it on a capercorn baitcaster so if you think the rod is about to go then point the tip at the fish and tie the line to a tree.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

99% of the time im not in it for the trophy....

thats probably why i like to carp fish so much.....even though its not a 9 ft ex hvy rod ive learned how to play with the drag and keep alot tention on the fish with light tackle......

ill stil probably use the braid for bass fishing in case i get a bigger one on :wink:

when you have ahold of their head they cant go no where :smile2:

HAHA ya right :roll_eyes:

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    LeRoy if you are going to go light for catfish you need some give somewhere or something will break. Since you want to use braid it would be good that not only your drag be somewhat light but your rod be somewhat soft in at least the top third of the rod. Light fast tip and braid is a recipe for a rod break when the catfish flops on the surface. If the rod you are wanting to use has a fast tip you might try a good quality mono that has some stretch.