Light or no light

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stinky fingers, May 16, 2007.

1. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hi all. When night fishing for cats from shore does it help or hurt to have a lantern/light close to the waters edge? What do you think. Light works for a lot of other gamefish.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've never used excessive light for cats. I'll usually have a campfire that'll shed a little light, but never much. 'Cause as you stand up to go grab a coke and your shadow suddenly overcasts on the water, you'd be amazed at the big boils it creates as you're scaring all the fish. It could be gar ...could be carp... or could be ol' mr. whiskers. The point being...you'll never know. But maybe somebody else will have a different opinion on this. Either way, good luck.

-Red

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    It feels as if I have better luck when the light isn't directly on the water. I've heard that light doesn't matter to the channels, but flatheads shy away from sources of light. If I need to have a lantern where I'm fishing on the bank, I will put a cooler between it and the water so that the light is mostly on the bank, I'll do anything to increase my chances.

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Flatties are DEFINITLY sensitve to light. We had a trip where we set up camp caught two fish, made a camp fire and never got bite again. Dusk came, put fire out. GOT BIT!!! I only use head lights,now and have bites all night. I do think that channels like the light because it brings in bait fish. We striper and crappie fish under submerged lights all summer, and ALWAYS catch channels 10 feet and under on jigs and cutbait. So channels YES, Flatties NO.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I nomally fish for cats in the day time or in the evening.

6. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have always heard the same thing, channel cats like the light, flatheads dont.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to use lights before i heard that it hurt your chances of catching them. i had never heard of this before so i tried it. i stopped using my lights and tripled my catch. could it have been just a good night? maybe. but i will pretty much bet on the lights. so now i dont use lights anymore. and i catch more and better fish this way.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    When the fish make the boils are they where you are fishing? Must people I know who bank fish set up and cast out to the middle of the river. Now for those of you who have run bush bobs or limblines you cat your biggest fish where? right near the bank. So if you fishing near the bank yes that can hurt your catch if you fishingg as far as you can cast then no.

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'll usually fish with a rod close to bank, kinda half-way out, then one as far as I can sling. Just to have it at different depths of the water I'm fishing.

-Red

10. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    If you're worried about light scaring fish you might try using a black light instead. It's a lot less intrusive and doesn't cast a shadow. All you need is some Trilene solar collector mono and you're set. You'll wonder why you fished without it. At least I did. :lol:

11. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    WELL I'm always on light discipline when fishing for cats !!!
    The less light the better !!! IMO

HAWK :smile2:

12. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i dont use a lantern or a light the light will defenantly get your line broke

13. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with Chrisingeorgia if you absolutely need a light go with a black light. Light definately affects catfish I've seen anglers steer fish away from log jams with a spotlight.

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i never use a light unless i can't get away from it. i use a headlamp and use the red light on it almost exclusively. i've seen too many times when time to net or gaff flatty, shine light and "POW", line is broke. if i have to have a lantern, i use a battery one, and put a blue celliphane (spl) sheet around the glass. also keeps the bugs away from me.
    gary

15. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I like to know what's going on around me at night, so I always have a lantern going?
    I don't know if it make's much of a difference fishing at night with or without a light because I've never tried it without a light?

I've heard some say it help's, then some say it hurts the fishing?

Ken