Light/No Light Opinion!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatFuStyle, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    im sure this has been brought up before, but ive never really heard a definitive answer to this, ive heard that cats are sensitive to light, ive heard that they arnt, ive also heard that depending on where you fish and if light pollution is present then the fish will become or are accustomed to that light and that using lights wont affect fishing, so whats the real truth and story behind this.

I dont use light at all except my head lamp.

2. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thats exactly what ive herd and i dont use a light eather but the one on my floter!

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is a highly controversial topic! Heres my belief to that question. If I'm fishing close to shore in the shallows for Flatheads, I dont want any light at all. If I'm fishing for Blues in deeper water and farther from shore....I dont think it matters much. I remember one night this past spring when There was a full moon and I was going to check on a rod and My shadow was cast onto the water. A huge Flathead exploded from the shallow water and it left out in a big hurry. Just from my shadow casting across him. Two weeks later in the same spot, without any shadows or lights, I landed my P.B. Flathead in the same spot....67.2lbs. He was released in good condition and I'll be going after him again this spring. Hopefully with any luck at all....I'll find him in the same area and looking to break 70 lbs. this year!!!! No lights for me. Just a glow stick on the end of the rod tip and I'll be back away from my rods until I hear the clicker.:wink:

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I dont like to use lights for several reasons ..it blinds me ..and the bugs love it, i do turn them on when i need it

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If I'm in a boat I will use some lights down in the boat but not where ot will shine on the water. If I'm on the bank no lights other than my clip on if I'm after Mr Flattie.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well for me its more of a scaredy cat thing, if Im with my boys or one of them then I have a lantern (or by myself LOL) if Im with a buddy or others are around then its really up to them how they want it.

I personally dont care however when I start to hear noises coming from the brush Ill light up the lantern LOL LOL

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I only use a small LED headlamp. I try to only use my big spotlight while motoring, etc. I try my hardest to minimize light and noice, especially when flatheadin'.

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use a headlamp Led with the red leds it doesn't draw as many bugs now I just picked up a blacklight headlamp too my rods have glow tips so I hope the bugs aren't attracted to that

9. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    ive used black lights before, while bank fishing and some bugs are attracked to uv lights, not as bad but they will stay right around the black lights, if anyone is looking to buy a black light i recommend spencers stores, you can get a 12 inch battery operated black light that runs on 8-AA batteries and will last through a all nighter easy.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Good point, that solved that question in my book..:wink:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to use the minimum light possible when flathead fishing, especially when fishing close to the banks and or in shallow water. I however, do use a highbeam spotlight to penetrate the water, to hold on structure sometimes that may be close to the boat, or create a danger when fighting big flathead. I believe this bright white light helps defer them from wanting to swim there. Ever get a flathead to the boat and turn a flashlight on him? They really don't appreciate it! goodluck to ya...rollo

12. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    :cool2:Now If I could just remember that during the excitement of the
    fight:smile2:

Wooly

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    it depends on where im fishing at, on the boats, both have the white light in rear and is bright enough to use for fishing, thats all i use, on some cold nights ill fire up the lantern, does put out a lot of heat, just keep it on the bottom of the boat, when share fishing i usee a lantern a lot, just on low, i do like to see what im doing :wink:

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I think blacklight is best & maybe some low watt light similar to the LED.
    Another ideal I just thought of but never tried is to cover a latern just enough to defer the light AMAP.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive always used a lantren and still catch fish i dont see no negative affect while using light and light will attract baitfish it seems like always alot of minnows swimming around in front of me where i fish

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use those LED cap lights, and only turn them on when needed(tying knots, lookin for something) other than that i'm in the dark, when on the boat i only use a spotlight when motor'n from spot to spot, and when anchored i usually cover my stern light or turn it off unless i see another boat coming(which is rare)

17. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Until this year, I always used a lantern. I switched to the rod-tip glow stick method this year. I didnt notice much of a huge difference (except for alot less skeeter bites).
    I do enjoy the dark more. But always have my green headlamp ready!

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i have one of those underwater lights (the evening secret) and have caught and or hooked into many large flatheads since i got it. noticed that the only times i have had nights with multiple (3 or more) large flatheads hooked up was when i was using the light. even had one in the 20-25 pound range eating baitfish right against the light. as far as lanterns go i have not noticrd a difference whether it was on or off as far as catching fish goes.

19. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    just throw your hot dogs at the noise in the bushes.....:smile2:

i have a led headlamp with adjustable intensity,pretty much all i use.any fish caught at night,well,we do not use a light,unless we know its not too big of a fish.i seen a 15 pound flat break 30 pound line when a light was shined on it by bank,one of the craziest things that i have seen.especially in shallow water,light is a factor and also throwing a shadow over the water is too.
    and,even if the fish are used to lights over or by the water,doesn't mean your light is different from what they are used to.

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don'teven allow talking during my flathunts more the less lights.

I think lights and noise are not good for flathead fishing.