Light line catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by countrycat15, Sep 16, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    does any body else here like to use...i guess u could say kinda light line.for example i use 4lb for small cats,17lb for medium cats,and 25lb if im looking for monsters.i like to play every fish i catch not just because it's fun but because when using light line its a challeng.so how many brothers feel the same way.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Kenny, everyonce and a while I hook a catfish while bream/crappie. I know how to "play" the fish but don't go looking to catch fish on light tackle. I agree with you that it is fun and never complain about it though.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I stopped playing fish. Better to reel them in, string up the legal ones, release the small ones and the breeders, and go fry up a batch of filets. Catching larger fish on light line can be a lot of fun, but prolonged fights with ultralight tackle can put a lot of stress on a fish.

4. wei1

wei1 New Member

State:
    new cumberland,pa
    only use 4lb enjoy the challenge

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think it is great WHERE you can do it.I use to love a open clean spot and lite to ultra lite.I also used very heavy tackle for large fish on reef,wreck,jetty,piling and heavy cover fishing.I once fought and followed a large ray from just before dark to after daylight the next morning.I was in a boat and traveled the 3 mile length of Tybee Island 3 times before it decided to come up beside the boat and look at me.I had a spinning reel with 12 lb.test line.The fish was as wide as my 6 ft.wide boat.God blessed me with a boat,calm and shallow water and a fish that did not take off into the many available jetties or the shipping channel.Braggarts would call it skill.I call it a blessing and my lucky day or night.I always loved to fish with a fly rod and a ultra-lite to lite spinning or trigger spin reel.It would handle 999 out of every 1000 fish that I have ever caught or fished for in fresh water and most of the saltwater fish.I normally fished for what would fit in my 10-12 in.cast iron frying pan.peewee-williams

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    man peewee thats amazing i would love to have a fight like that.

7. GillSlayer

GillSlayer New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have always been a fan of going as light as possible. It just seems to be alot more fun and productive.

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    The big prize catfish comes along so seldom, it would be foolish to loose it because you were using inadiquite tackle.

9. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am not an expert but I do agree that light is fun. I also agree that at any given time you may need to be able to handle a larger fish quickly. It doesn't take a very large cat to render a light rig all but useless if he decides to head for places unknown. For my own setup I use heavier line, and a stout reel, but prefer a longer, more limber pole so that average fish are still fun to catch. It is a happy medium in my mind. I use 7 1/2' to 8' poles in MH action. Typically 65-80# power pro and Abu baitcasters. This will typically handle any fish I would ever hope to catch while still letting the 4-5# fish provide a little fight. This is only my opinion, nothing I would die for. Any input would be welcome andinteresting.

10. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    my channel cat rods have 14 lb test and my flathead rods have 30 lb test on them.i caught cats on lighter line before but i usually go for big fish so i like to have my tackle withstand wat i am fishing for.i have caught big cats on light line before and it is a challenge.i caught a 28 pound flathead over the summer on 6 pound test while fishing for crappie at my grandpas gravel pit with a minnow and was that ever fun.i just dont like using light line wen fishing for these big fish.

11. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    At this point I do not have dual setups as I have only started catfishing seriously last fall. I think a slightly lesser setup would suit channels more ideally. So for now I fish one set up with variations in rigs and terminal tackle for different waters/fish. I have really come to like the micro braid lines on a baitcaster as they seem to have far less memory and backlash tendancy. (This was first pointed out to me by a BOC bro.) Maybe come spring I will start shopping for a channel cat only rig!

12. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like fishing light tackle whenever I can. The only negative thing I can think of about catfishing is that circumstances often require me to use heavier tackle than I normally would use for the size of fish I'm likely to catch. By this I mean that factors such as current, cover and distance dictate the weight of the rig.

13. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have used lighter line most of my life. I use 10 lb on some reels and 17 lb on others, usually Stren dura tuff. I have had good luck, why? because I just haven't hooked that monster. After a year on this site, I plan to up my 17 lb to 30 lb and work on catching a big one. I don't want to be saying they told me so when he swims off.

Jim

14. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    ok, i understand that is is enjoyable to "play" with the fish, but when you do this, it causes ALOT more stress on the fish, sometimes if you are rigged heavy it still takes a while to get a BIG fish in..... all im saying is keep it in mind that if you practice CPR, by wearing the fish out it reduces the chance of the fish living...im not trying to preach to anyone just figured id put my 2cent in.
    Good Luck everyone,
    Mike

15. MidwestFish

MidwestFish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i see what your saying..light line is fun but i wouldnt want to do it with catfish you never know when you will get that big one....trout fishing is so much fun with light line 2-4lb line and a big rainbow or brown on the other end is exiting

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I would have to agree, light tackle for fish that require a medium line is a lot of fun! I've fought a 35+ inch grass carp on 4 pound test and a Zebco 11 Micro (my bream/sacalait pole) for 2 hours, what a blast! Sometimes I'll even troll for bass with that same little pole in the local pond, cause a 1 pounder will fight like crazy compared to if I'm using my standard bass rig.

I also want to experiment with using light line for catfishing, but drag would also do just about the same thing, if you think about it. I mostly use heavy line because of snags, and if that lunker happens to hit your bait, better safe than sorry.

17. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Well just to be a fence setter. I like to use lite and heavy equipment when I go fishing. I have 2 heavy rigs and 2 lite rigs. I use smaller baits on the lite rigs. I still hang into a big one every now and then. Thats is a lot of fun. I will say whichever way a catfisherman decides to fish the main thing is to enjoy it.