light gear for big cats?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by msucatfish, Feb 16, 2009.

1. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    So after reading a lot of these threads and posts I've noticed that most everyone uses the heaviest/biggest rods/reels/line etc that they can get, I've never really done much fishing for big catfish until recently my fishing had always been for eating. I like using the lightest gear I can get for bass/bream/crappie to me its more fun than just winching one in and I was wandering whats the lightest gear you think someone could catch a monster cat on lets say 30 pounds or bigger?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I am fishing for shell crackers with crawlers,, a lot of times a 5 pound cat or will hit my ultra light outfit. It is fun,,, I enjoy it,,, I also broke 3 rods last year,,,,

A 5 pounder can break an ultra light rod,,,, what would a 40 pounder do ????

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Thats a loaded question meaning there are alot of variables that come into play, but if you look at the IGFA website and check line classes you will see some whopper fish caught on relatively light line. When going after monster cats with light line you still will need a shock leader to keep the cat from parting the lighter weight mainline with their mouths. Just as a sidenote, the longer you play a large fish the more toxins are built up their bodies from exertion lessoning the chances of survival upon release (plenty of studies done on that too). I pretty much stay with 20 lb line mainly to keep from breaking my back and rod when I get hung-up in the Ohio River, while I havent broken any weight records I would imagine I could wrangle in a big ole cat with that line.

Good luck and keep us posted

Bill

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Most of us that you hear talking about heavy duty equipment for catting fish rivers for BIG flats and blues. Fishing in rivers with lots of structure(rocks and trees) Generally speeking you have to be able to horse the big ones out before they have time to wrap you up in the structure. Hope this helps...

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Zac Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I look forward to reading your post.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

6. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Zac, welcome to the BOC from Texas.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Zac.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Zac, Three Things:

1. Your right about the gear, fishing with the lightest gear you can get away with - will make fishing more fun.
    (Well - it does for me anyway) :wink:

2. Welcome to the B.O.C. :0a25: :0a23:
    &
    3. Have you seen the size for some of the fish that these members have caught? :crazy:
    (LoL:happy:)

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck me and my dad used to catch big ones on a spincast reel with 8 to 10# test on it,you just have to know how to play them,its more finessing then trying to horse one out and have your drag set right but it can be done.

10. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thanks for the welcome and info, i got good places to fish theres some good catfish lakes close by and the tenn-tom is 30 minutes from my house, i'm going gear hunting tomorrow so i'll post what i get

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I myself wont use anything under 20#, in fact I use from 30-65. I use to use lighter stuff but if you get a big one you have a good chance of it breaking your line. A old wise fish will head for timber quick. Big fish have been caught on light line but most of those fish are caught in deep water and never hit the structure , it aint hard to wear them out in open water. Even with 30# my drag still screams away and I get a good fight , but come time to turn him my line has to hold up.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I enjoy fishing for sure,,, I like bait fishing and use a lightly spooled spincast rod/reel for that task.. Amazing to me how hard a bluegill or tilapia can fight,,
    A lot of times when I fish, I'll throw out a medium line,,, 15# out with a worm or two on it,, and have had a lot of fun with channels, bass, stripers, etc, with that,, also, it is a spinning rig.
    When, going for the Flatcats,, It's just too disappointing to have the line snap if it's too light, and I've had some snap some pretty tough line,, so, the past few seasons, I've basically been using 30# mono, minimum, and have tried some much heavier,, but, the 30 # seems real good considering everything,, knots, strength, abrasion resistance,etc.
    I have some 50# on some of my AB 7000's, but, when it's all used up , I'm sure I'll respool with the "Light" 30#:smile2:
    There's usually lots of large rocks, and other structure that is ,,,Hard on fishing line,,so, The heavier stuff helps out with the "Structure" not actually fighting the fish..

However, Awhile back, my Sweetie, had a 12# Flatty try and steal the worm she had on a 1/0 Baitholder hook, attached to 10# mono, out of a Zebco 33 combo unit,,,,,,
    Yea, it was a lot of fun!!!!!

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    If you are fishing an area with structure you have to be able to turn a big cat quick or they will break you off in a heartbeat and light equipment may be more sporting to catch smaller fish, but if your dealing with very big cats it's sporting if they let you keep your gear intact. If I am lucky enough to hook a big one I want to increase my chances of landing him. Also, and this may sound a bit weird, but there is also a difference if you are fishing from shore or from a boat. From shore it's just you, the fish, and your gear so it has to hold up to long runs and still have the ability to gain back line. If you are in a boat you may have to contend with current and possibly structure. You also have the ability to "chase" him if need be. So if your going to target very big fish you need hefty gear. Tight lines.

:cool2:

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    lots of variables that determine the gear to use. curent will limit the down sizeing of your rig, heavy current will bend a light rod over with nothing more than your weight and bait on it. heavy current means it takes heavy weights to get your bait to stay put, i got some 14oz weights that i bet would break alot of lighter rods on the cast not to mention pop some light lines. and thats just getting the bait in the water thats not dealing with a monster that is now mad cause you just stabbed him in the lip and are trying to drag him through a log pile by it, with rushing water pushing him away from you. with that said the smallest r&r combo i feel comfie with would be my 7' ugly stick catfish 6000 sized abu 65# power pro line. makes me work for all the fish iv cought on them. if i had to pick one combo for all my fishing from bait to big that would be it.

15. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    so, got some stuff today, picked up an abu garcia 7000, uglystick catfish 7' mh, some 20 lb braided spiderwire and various size and style hooks weights etc, i just wish i could have found an 8' or 9' or 10' rod as I have no boat but i shall continue my search for it

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Be careful with that light of a braid. It isn't very good on abrasion at all. This is the main reason I use P-Pro 50# or 65# and then a mono leader. The 7000 you got would fit heavier braid nicely .

Now a 20# test mono or higher is also good on that reel . I'm not trying to tell you what to do , I just wanna warn ya about 20# braid , it snaps easy.

Thats a nice set-up ya bought, g'luck with it.
    -Jim-

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think I'd listen to JJ he knows his stuff and you couldt break his legs to get him way from tossing a line(LOL) He is skilled in bank and boat....Been watching him fer a couple yrs now :wink:
    Fishing the Sipp -lower DesMion and Skunk rivers I have learned you can waste alot of money on cheap -light gear....You ever tagg a real ticked off-HEALTHEY- Flatthead-20-30 lb range in good current that 20 doller shake from walley is not gonna last you long...me and my little brother smoked bout three apiece in one week then we headed fer cabellas and got us some gear...aint happining again that hurts a mans pride(LOL)...Its been a process but you start chasing the big ones you dont want anything light...it wont hold up to the abuse...I have a box of reels I have smoked-litteraley schredded gears...sipp catts are ruthless.....YOU"LL SEE:wink:you made a good chioce in equiptment...nice cat rig
    WELCOME TO THE B.O.C . & GOOD LUCK LOOKIN FER MOBEY!

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds good to me bro looks like your ready,about the line you may just have to experiment with untill you find the kind you like and works good for you,just like hooks.you may find what you bought works great for you so its a preference thing really.Let us know how it works out for ya.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 9 & 10' rods with big reels and I use 20# mono for all my catfishing needs.

20. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    You talk about fun I caught a 17 lbs channel on a ugly stick ultralight with a ultralight reel on 8 lbs test, I just played it out for a while. and then brought it in a little at a time, didnt think it was ever going to reach the bank. But on the same note I watched a guy close to there, hook into a big fish it was on a zebco33 with 10 lbs test and it ran to the end and broke it like it wasnt even there. that guy was wishing for big gear then