Life span of line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by jboy434, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i was thinking about just buying a spool of line and was wondering does line dry rot or anything if it sits on a spool for a few years will it still be as good as when you bought it?

thanks for any help

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am not real sure of it's shelf life but, if it is left out where the suns ultraviolet rays can work on it, it will loose alot of life quickly!!!

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im wondering that too.....

2500 yards is a lot of line and i want it to live long fer da future :wink:

:smile2::smile2:ebay:smile2::smile2:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you didnt say what type of line power pro doesent seem to. ive been using the same line for years on some of my reels and its still super strong.

5. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i wasnt referring to any in perticular. but i did just find some trilene big game in 20# test for 20 bucks after shipping.

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have found that if mono sits on your reel for a long time (a couple of years) it gets really bad memory and is very hard to work with. If you are fishing with some weight and keep your line tight, then you should be fine. Braided line, on the other hand, never gets memory or loses strength bc of UV rays, but does cost at least 4-5x as much on average.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    keep the line in a cabinet or box or anywhere cool out of sunlight it will last a very long time . As you know plastic takes the longest to degrade .

8. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    thanks for all the help.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I bought a big spool of Berkley line some eight years ago on clearance. Used the last of it last year and never had a problem with it. I think i still have one reel spooled with it.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :0a21:

wat if u put it in a container of water..... forever....... i do that before i spool it on my lines anyways :wink::smile2::tounge_out::sad2::cool2::confused2::angry::big_smile::crazy::embarassed:

:0a36:
    :0a26:

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a spool of mono that has been kept in it's original box in a cool dark basement for over ten years and seems to still be as pliable and strong as it was when new.Keeping submerged sounds interesting but haven't tried it but will study this farther.
    Jake

12. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have no idea how long line last but i try to change mine out one or two times a year, but again i have no idea how long line last.:big_smile: