life lost on misouri

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by fat back, Aug 22, 2016.

1. fat back

fat back New Member

State:
    iowa
    plase be careful on this river.fat back

2. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    i saw this on the news, sucks because it was probably fellow cat fishermen.

For those that dont know, the news said there was a pair on a boat on the MO way down south by Hamburg IA.. The boat lost power and they ended up floating into/under a moored barge. One escaped and I dont think they found the other yet.

My guess is they thought they could deflect their boat off the barge and it didnt work and the boat sank with no time to react.

3. milesej05

milesej05 Active Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Eric
    People don't realize how scary that Missouri is. And the guy that survived was a fellow catfisherman, not sure about the guy who they haven't found. I looked up the survivors Facebook page

4. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Im curious what the life jacket situation was. The river is a scary place, even worse when you have no engine power. Been there done that!

5. rrstivers

rrstivers New Member

State:
    s e Nebraska
    Name:
    Richard
    That is about five miles up stream of where I fish. I hope I'm not the unlucky one to find him. Old man muddy is unforgiving. Be careful. I'm 77 and fish alone quite often.

onlyriverfish likes this.
  6. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I hope to never have to boat a body. Thats impressive that you go it alone at that age, any tips for us youngsters?

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    They found him today about a mile down

8. milesej05

milesej05 Active Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Eric
    Saw that on the local fishing/hunting forum. Brings closure to the family but still a bad ordeal.

Heck, sometimes out on the river I don't even feel safe in my 17' Tracker V bottom..I still don't know how people go out there in 14' Jon boats.

9. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    People are becoming more and more daring. I am seeing people canoing the river and people piling in boats that I wouldn't even take on a lake to be honest. Best one this year was when I was at the Manawa ramp and say like 4 Hispanic people launching what could not have been bigger than a 12' Alumacraft boat with a late 70's era 6hp motor. Needless to say when I got back they were all bank fishing and had the "craft" on the trailer.

Its especially dangerous when you get out in the channel and have the guys with the huge tuna boat looking things that are slinging 3 footers lol. I was starting to get worried Sunday, had a constant convoy of those things coming up the river for about 2 hours

10. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    I see people canoing all the time I seen a guy and lady Saturday that started in Montana.. I personally wouldn't

11. milesej05

milesej05 Active Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Eric
    Let me guess, they went through Gavins Point and didn't even get a scratch on them? lol

12. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    If they were looking for white water Im sure they got some there!!

13. carpocalypse now

carpocalypse now Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    put first name
    This reminds me of something really crazy I saw last month while night fishing. My friend and I were out and saw 3 green lights really close to the water moving slowly down the channel. They were headlamps! There were 3 tubers with only headlamps for illumination floating the Missouri at night. Couldn't believe it!

14. milesej05

milesej05 Active Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Eric
    And THAT is why I don't feel sorry for some people when something bad happens to them. People are either clueless or they really just don't care.

15. catfish_hunter01

catfish_hunter01 New Member

State:
    nonya
    more like brown water. I got debated down on another website about not going out on the river with a shallow hull boat. Some people are 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

16. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I fished the river a couple years in a 16' bass boat that sat a couple inches out of the water and never had any issues. I never tried to go through anyones wake. Always slowed down and waited it out.

17. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    I don't know much about that river, but I have had a couple incidents in the ms river in a 20 ft bay boat that there is no doubt a smaller Jon boat would have capsized. I never feel like I have too much boat
    It's a sad thing that happened and it could happen to any of us. Be careful!

18. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    Also a very good idea to keep a trolling motor ready to go in case the motor shuts down. It can at least get you to a safe place to anchor

19. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Very true, the trolling motor was the only thing that got us back to the dock safe the couple times my old 16 footer had motor trouble.