Life Jackets

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by The Penn Slammer, Dec 16, 2009.

1. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    I learned a valuable lesson during the rescue last week. I will never board a boat again without a orange life vest. I have had blue and brown on my boat all summer and for years but from now on its orange with the reflective tape.This should not even be a matter of choice but law on the lakes. The gentlemen in the water last week were passed up by one boat who did not see their brown life vests. If the SCDNR wants to pass one sensible law this should be it. What is everyones thoughts on this.If anyone feels political take this to Columbia and save some lives.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i agree that the life jackets should be a more visible color. but before thats gonna happen someone is going to have to come out with a more comfortable design just like your regular life jackets just orange. im sure some company has them but i dont see why other companys dont make em also

3. bulldog1

bulldog1 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    That is a good idea, got me to thinking. I've seen some guy's at work on our ECT team with a small strobe light hanging in there ECT bags. Battery powered, I don't know if they would be water proof I can check. It would be easy to attach to a vest. Just a thought :confused2:

4. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Did they not have a whistle or an air horn ? Maybe when they pass a law about the day-glo vests, they can add a whistle to it in a pocket or something.

It may do the job even when rain etc, would block being seen.

5. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Unfortunately, when you are traveling from one spot to another, you probably wouldn't hear a whistle. A strobe light would be the best and probably the cheapest solution to being seen. They could be made into the life vest.

6. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    i think it should be a personal choice,we already have to much government.people should do their homework and keep themselves safe.if they pass any laws it should be about how old a person should be to drive a boat and what determines them to be able to operate a watercraft.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I will never board a boat again without a orange life vest...."

GREAT ADVICE!!!

You know how hard it is to pick that color out from the water and the waves.

Some other color than brown or green would be a smart choice, that's for sure.

I agree with Larry Grady in that we have enough laws, but we also have too many stupid people that need to be told what to do or they make the wrong choice. I always say; you can't legislate morality or intelligence. Even with laws stupid people will make the wrong choice....hmmmmm...just proves you can't fix STUPID!

:wink:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    There was a company that made orange life vests, when we were kids my dad made us wear em to get in the boat. Tests have shown that orange is the most visible color out there.

I bet it might not be made law if enough people would just do it without being forced to. Get orange and be smart, don't need big brother lookin out for ya. Like everything else people need to be educated, those that won't learn the easy way learn the hard way or don't pass on their genes.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    bass pro has a strobe light that clips to your life vest for $9.99 i think thats the way to go my self

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been operating a boat since I was a teen never caused any trouble at 16 my dad allowed me to take his jon boat out anytime on the lake so age shouldnt have anything to do with it I see just as many older folks on the lake that cant drive a boat as I do kids richie is correct on the life jackets that would be a good law you must not know santee it can go from calm to a ocean in no time so anytime on santee is a risk of rough water just my opinion :cool2::cool2:

11. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Just want to let everyone know these men were found around 3pm not at night and visibility was clear but it was not easy to spot them in brown life vests.