Life Jackets..

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Snagged2, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm considering getting some inflatable type vests or jackets, and wanted to hear from some BOC members regarding those.
    Manual vs Auto, Brand, function, etc..
    Thx's Greg

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greg most auto types also come with a manual pull feature. I have a set that I got about five years ago from Bass Pro shops and love them. I gave about 139.00 for them. Money well spent. Mine is automatic inflate.

3. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I am also looking into puirchasing a couple of these type life jackets, I have not heard any complaints about them.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Make sure you check your state regs. They may not substitute a standard jacket or they may substitute a standard jacket if they auto inflate.

5. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    im tryin to talk myself into getting some.....got to wait on santa...:wink:

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Xmas list . how about it, Santa Greg?

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas?? Sounds like a field trip!!:big_smile:
    I was hoping to get some experienced info on different types, and features to get, or watch out for!!

also, MarkJ,,We're not Required to have them on,, so, If we're wearing them, shouldn't be a problem.. kinda like hunter orange while hunting,, recommended, but, not required!!
    but, thanks for the tip!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Greg, i was told by a ranger down here that if it's on you, the inflatable ones are fine. but if off you, they don't consider it as a life jacket per say.
    think that's because it won't float unless inflated. might want to check on that.
    gary

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_943614&id=0043183943615a

This is what I use and I love it. (You can see it in my avatar pic) It's also true that you must wear the inflatable to have it count as a PFD in your boat. If you don't want to wear one, get a foam filled PFD. These are actually so comfortable that you forget your even wearing it. I fish alone most of the time so having a PFD on that is comfortable is important to me. I would recommend this one if you are considering an inflatable.

BTW...one rule on my boat is that everyone wears a PFD when the boat is in motion...that's under power or drifting. All it takes is a rouge wave when you're not looking and you're in the water. Buy the auto-inflatable and wear it...you only have one life...no need taking chances.

Tight lines.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  10. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I have a couple and love them because they take up little room to store and you don't even notice you are wearing one.But I have cheaper auto ones that have a wafer that looks just like an alka seltzer tablet that melts to set it off. These need to be replaced. This spring one of mine went off in the locker and I thought I would never get the door open. It was bulging up and had to stand on it to turn the latch.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I bought 2 of the Mustang Survival with the inflatable collar. Automatically inflates with water immersion or manually. Very comfortable!! Bought mine at Bass Pro on sale.

12. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    The "wafer" ones can be set off by rain, spray, or even if they get damp (like in your locker). The hydrostatic ones are activated by water pressure so are generally less likely to accidentally auto-inflate.

I am "round in the belly"..about 250lbs. I have one a mustang that I never really could get comfortable in. It always felt too tight. I ended up going back to my standard vest which was more comfortable for me. I wish they made the auto inflators in "big boy" sizes.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Greg.... You have been in my boat. I have one, and have never worn it. I need to get one more..... that fits me better, and then give the old one to my wife.....I think that for the money, it is a great investment... good to have for self preservation much better than the big bulky "normal" ones that most boats have for emergencies..Got a buddy that works at BPS.... need to call him and get the discount..... I will go with the Auto inflate this time.

Merry Christmas....

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    These are hydrostatic. A little more money but they were out of the others. They marked them down to the price advertised for the cheaper ones.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Great Posts and repsonses everybody,,
    I'm getting good tips and info here,,
    At least I'll be able to ask an intelligent question if I go to a store..
    Thanks, Keep them coming..

16. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I have four of them that I bought from cabelas a few years back. I love them but you have to make sure to keep them stored in a dry area when not used. I used to keep mine on my boat but a little moisture in a storage compartment will set them off then your out another $20 for a re-arming kit.
    Great investment for the comfort.

17. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I bought the SOS brand a couple of years ago because I fish a lot by myself and my wife feels better knowing that I will wear this as opposed to a regular vest. I will take it off when anchored and sitting down, but always wear when in motion.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I ended up buying one of the Guardian Models from Cabelas.. Will use that and see how it is..
    Haven't been in the boat since I got it!!

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have PFDs on the boat to be legal. I never wear them as they are too confining. In the event of a freak fast moving storm, I may be inclined to slip one on. We don't have rouge waves in the waters I fish. The day after we fished the mighty Columbia river for salmon, I heard of four fishermen killed on the Columbia river from a rouge wave capsizing their boat. Wearing PFDs IS certainly a good idea, especially for folks who have medical problems, don't swim well, get caught in a disabled boat in rough water, or frequently fish frigid waters. First and foremost is safely navigating the boat, and not taking any foolish chances. Most folks who drown, do so from stupidity, and few from unforeseen occurrences. Another cause of ending up up in the water is folks fishing out of boats that are overloaded and WAY too small for the load and it's occupants. Use common sense and good judgment, and 99.9% of the time you will never need to actually wear a PFD. Just my humble opinion.

Bill in SC

20. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I have two Mustang waist models, I still use standard PFDs when underway and then switch to the inflatable's
    when fishing. There compact and comfortable enough to wear all day while fishing.