Life Jackets

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Eddie Mullins, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I was looking at life jackets last night in Bass Pro to find something I wouldn't actually mind wearing while fishing, especially if I am on the river. I have the required PFD's in my boat, but they aren't worn expept by the kids. The others are the bulky orange ones not really suitable for activley fishing. After seeing a post this morning about somebody falling out, and having done so once myself previously, I am going to get something that I will actually wear.

I was wondering if and what some of you actually wore, not just had in the boat.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Look at the auto-inflate style. Not bulky or uncomfortable...W

3. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I second that. But make sure to take them out of the boat and hang them up in a dry area after your fishing trip. I have 4 of them and always forget to take them out and they end up inflating due to moisture.

4. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Thnaks for the feedback, and I will admit I'm not familiar with the auto inflatables, but sounds like they may be higher maintenace than I am looking for. From what I saw at Bass Pro, they are also pricey.

Are there any other suggestions, and sources for a standard PFD that is not too bulk or hard on the pocket book. Bass pro has a mesh top jacket with some pockets on the front for about $40. Currently I'm leaning that way unless I get some other ideas.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Bass pro has a mesh top jacket
    Eddie that is the one i have i like it after a few min i forget i even have it on thay are the most comfertable ones i have had

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    IF you have a Cabelas in the area it might be best to look there. I have the mesh top jackets and I picked them up for just over 30 for a pair last year. I really like the mesh top units, they are not a nice as the Auto inflate units but they are the real nice plus you do not have to worry about them not going off when they need to. That would be my luck!

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The auto-inflate vests are pretty comfortable, but if you are going to go that way I have 2 recommendations/info for you.

1. If you are going to get an auto-inflating vest, then save up and get one of the good ones from Mustang with the hydrostatic inflators. The ones that are set off by moisture (like Bass Pro) will go off on you because they are stored in a damp area or are out in the rain or take some spray off the bow or they just get a little age on them or ...

B. Inflatable live vests do not count as a CG approved life vest unless you are wearing them. If they are stowed in the boat, then they are not a life preserver and if you have nothing else on board, then you can be written up. Therefore, and just as a backup, I recommend having the inflatable and a conventional vest or PFD that you can keep stowed away until needed.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    get an auto inflate.. i wear mine all the time. it is small and you get used to it real quick. you can cast and move around with it on with ease. i never wore the bulky ones and now i wear one every trip out, and the whole time. sometimes i even forget i have it on and will be walking around after fishing before i realize it is still on. well worth the price.

9. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    I like the auto inflate,hope I never have to use it,you need to learn to check it to make sure it is good ,I to find myself walking to truck with it on,there is also one that fits to your belt line,does anyone use this type?