Life jackets

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Mar 29, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Every year we loose more and more boaters/fisherman around the state of Kansas.And you read from other states also of boaters drowing every year.

I have boat fished pretty much all my life and have been caught on water that could of easily capsized our boat.Just been lucky..
    Just last yr I got caught on Milford during the gathering where it was not safe even in my old tank of a boat.And we know one BOC memeber capsized on Milford that same day,and was very lucky to just lose his gear and boat.

After meeting and making friends with more and more BOC memebers each yr and we are the fishermen that really fish and will sometime's challange mother-nature I would hate like $ell to read someday that we lost a Kansas BOC brother.

I spend way to much money on fishing gear each yr but the one thing I have not spent $$ on is good life jackets.I will buy cheep most of the time.

I'm going to up-grade this yr and wear them at all times under power and when condition warrant it.

I challenge all BOC brothers to do the same if you dont all ready.

Lets be safe out there this year.....!!

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Totally agree Tom!!

I truly believe that Eric Cruse would be alive today if he'd have worn a life jacket!! While he wasn't in a boat, he was wade fishing, a flotation devise would have kept his head above water.

I have one of the self-inflating vests and wear it 99% of the time. It is far more comfortable than the older style vests, but it is more expensive to purchase..........I figure my life is worth more than $119.00. I'd give my whole bank account to have been able to put one on Eric before he entered the water.

What is your life worth to you? To your family and friends?

Be smart, put it on and leave it on. Rant over, sorry.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Well said Charlie.....Thanks
    Thats what I'm going to buy also.And the main thing is to wear it.

Many boaters drown every year that had their jackets laying in the bottom of the boat.:sad2:

I use to think I was bullet proof but not no more.

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You make a hell of a good point Tom. Its nothing for us to spend boocoo bucks on tackle and equipment, and not giving a second thought to buying Green light special life jackets. Whats wrong with us :crazy:
    I think the key to buying one, is to get one that's comfortable. Unfortunately you're not going to find comfortable for $19.97 at Wally world.
    I don't know about your area, but there's not many places around here that carry man sized jackets,... if you know what I mean. :eek:oooh::smile2:

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    It's a shame but Wally World is where I buy most of mine at.And your right Ray most wont hardly fit big guys.

I'm going either to Cabelas or Bass-pro to find a good one,and one that fts me..

I want to get the self-inflating type.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a great post and I especially agree with Charlie. Buy the inflatable and wear it all the time. Think Safety first.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    We have went everywhere here in town and no one has my size.:sad2: I tried on a XXL the other day and it wouldnt fit.:crazy: I aint that damn big.:smile2:
    We will probably have to wait until we are up in KC to check out BP and Cabelas.
    I would wear one all the time if it were comfortable. Probably should save up for the inflatable ones.
    It does make you appreciate bank fishin more.:smile2:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If your as graceful as I am on the rocks along the dam it's a good idea to have one on.Which I don't never think about when bank fishing.All it takes is one trip and yep your head first in the water. And around most dams it's pretty darn deep.And guess what I swim like a big ole ROCK.Don't be ashamed to wear them.People who makes fun of the person with a life jacket on is a blooming idiot.JMHO! Be safe everyone.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Agreed Kyle they just dont seem to fit right.

Your chances of something happening is greater on a boat but a slip and fall in a boat or fishing a steep wet bank might be equal.

I have seen picture's of your river when it's up and roaring.I wouldn't want to fall in..

Charlie lost a good friend that was wading in calm waters.

You just never know I guess..

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Your right, it can happen anywhere. I guess its just a chance Ill take.
    I am cautious and do everything I can to be safe.
    I do believe that when its your time, its your time though. Doesnt matter if you have 5 life jackets on. Who knows.:embarassed:

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I seen something that may be more appropriate for bank fishing at Sportsmans Warehouse this morning,..it was a self inflating belt, rather than a whole vest.
    Probably wouldn't be adequate or even legal for a boat, but may be just the ticket for bank fishn.

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I just did a quick internet search, and found a few belts ranging in price from 50 to 80 bucks, and they ARE Coast Guard approved for people over 16 years of age. Here's a LINK to one of them. I think I'm going to check into these a little farther for my wife, and myself. Looks like they would be comfortable, inconspicuous, and would be useful for boat or bank.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
  14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Ray thanks...I like this better than the vest type.

15. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
  16. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great post!! I bought my son Bryan a new life jacket from Bass Pro in Olathe a few weeks back. We were going fishing on the Missouri with GaryF. I told Bryan he had to wear his life jacket the whole time we were out there. I wanted to make sure he was comfortable while wearing it. Spent close to $50 for something he will probably only use a few times but its well worth it in my opinion.

The selection at Bass Pro didn't seem to be nearly as good as Cabelas. Bass Pro was closer so that's where we went. But I would recommend going to Cabelas.

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The wind really kicked up today and we all know what Milford is like in the wind. There was some real holy rollers out there. I put my jacket on for the first time in a long time today.

I have looked at the manual inflate vest and the belt ones myself. The questions I have about them are, if you smack your head on the way out of the boat, who is going to inflate the vest? With the belt kind, will it float your head out of the water if you get knocked out? I am thinking with my luck it will float me upside down if I am unconscious.:confused2:

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jay, that is why i went with the full vest auto-inflate. If I get thrown from my boat going 60 mph I may not be conscience after the first skip:sad2:.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You got a good point Tom! I was looking at buying some new vests for my kids the other day since they have grown out of the ones we already had. They are not cheap but worth the investment!:wink:

20. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Chances are, if its not comfortable, and cool, I'm not going to wear it. So even though the belt may not be 100% effective, I'll be more likely to wear it, and it will still be better than not having one on at all. I'm just afraid I would spend $100 or more on a vest for it to just lay on the floor, like the ones I have now.
    Old habits are hard to break.:embarassed: