life jackets for rods

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flatheadhunterx, Sep 24, 2005.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    any of you guys us these they are foam things that go around the rod above the reel and stay on with velcro. if not i recommend them i was with a buddy in his boat and i have them on 6 of my rods. gotta get more. but anyway went to cast out and hooked a rod behind me and it went over my head into the water bout 10 ft away from the boat and the life jacket really worked. i was able to hook the rod with another one and got it back. best 4 dollars i think i ever spent. but i think i will make the rest. the rod floated like it was laying on the water, not straight up and down like i figured it would have.

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Sounds like a great idea, especially for my boys. I let one of my boys use the best Shimano spinning reel I ever had because he broke his line and I was retying his. A few casts later I watched the Shimano and Ugly Stik Lite sink to the bottom of Lake Erie. I would have loved to have previously invested $4 for that one back. :) I think I will make a few for myself also. Abu

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I have never heard of these do you know if there is a link to get one off the internet.?

4. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know Bass Pro carries them and has them in the online store also.

Do a search on "rod floater" with the quotes and it will take you right to them.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If you make any could you share how you made them, along with materials needed. Ive lost a couple rods to fish and dumb friends.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They kind of look like there made out of foam insulation that you wrap around pipes.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    catfish connection carries these as well. they are on page 69 of the 2005 catalog/// blakemore rod floaters. come in a three pack for $8.50.

ive never lost a rod but seen a few go off the bank and over the boat. lol.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They also have one out there that is almost like a inflatable life vest. It snaps to the rod and if it gets to wet it will inflate and flot on top of the water. Works with compressed CO2

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    8.50 for three is alittle steep mine were 3.95 for three for 8.50 i think i can enough for all my rods. i think they are made out off foam padding like goes around pipes. cut it about 7 inches long and use something to hold it to the rod i think i my use elect. tape because it wont have a tab on it like a wire tie will and i dont know where to get velcro straps that small.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well these are a little better looking than pipe ins, and detach. but after almost loosing an ambassedaur 6500/ $75 retail this summer thats still cheap. :cool:

11. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    I do mostly Bank fishing but I like to walk away from my pole so my method is
    .50 nylon stringer lasowed above the real and stuck into the ground.