"Life Jackets" Do You Wear Yours

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by misterwhiskers, Feb 27, 2006.

1. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Thought it be interstiun to see how many actually wear ther PFD's.

In NJ its not a law "YET" that you wear them,but is highly recommended.
    I keep mine hooked to my seat and will put it on in pretty rough current,other than that it rests on the seat and occasionly used as a seat cushion.

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I'm like you I use it for a seat cushion. But it is handy if I need it.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I put mine on and hook up the kill switch cord whenever I intend to go pretty fast.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I ware mine all the time. Over the years i have lost 3 friends from not having theirs on.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wear mine anytime the boat is moving and then Ill take it off while fishing.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I wear mine when I have the big motor fired up. I have lost a few friends not wearing them when they were running and hit a stump they didn't see.

7. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Yeah the only time i wear mine is while the boats is in some rough current or is hiting some wonster waves other than that i dont wear it.

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    wear mine when running but not when fishing.

9. Tee

Tee New Member

State:
    TN
    I wear mine all the time. I fish alot by myself, plus in Mississippi all chidren under 12have to have theirs on. Makes it MUCH easier to explain to a 6 year old when you are setting a good example instead of "wear it cause I told you to".

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Mine is on anytime were traveling, OR kids are in the boat. (I'm with Tee on setting an example)Otherwise its right on the back of the seat.
    the throwable is out and ready for use also.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you would think that since i swim like a rock i would wear mine all the time. only time i even get mine out of the storage compartment is when im on a lake with a lot of boats and then i just keep it near.

12. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    During the winter months or I should say the cold water months I always have mine on, even fish with it keeps me good and warm, during the summer I will have it on anytime the big motor is running while fishing I'll take it off but it's on the back of the seat, we don't move the boat unless the jackets are on, all it takes is one tumble and your in the water, and if it's cold your toast unless you have it on, the older you get the less strength you have in an emergency situation, I even have a PFD for our Lab who will be a year old Easter Sunday and the grandkids want to know why they have to wear one and I don't, so it is much easier for me to just keep mine on rather than to explain the situation to them, besides Grandpa wants to be around a long time to see his grandkids get there first big cat in the boat..........Doc

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Always wear mine, and everyone else should too.:)

Better to be safe then sorry.;)

14. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I never wear mine but may start now

15. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always wear mine.Sometimes when I'm fishing I'll unbuckle it when I get hot,if I'm sitting in calm water.

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When I use to go out on the boat with my dad, I always wore mine while we were moving but took it off after we stopped at a spot to fish. But I always kept it close by. But when we were in the bays of new jersey I kept it on.

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I always wear mine, and use a kill switch when underway. If anchored in calm water I may remove it, but I keep it close at hand. If I am alone I wear one at all times, in fact recently bought an auto-inflatable and don't even think about having it on, it's so comfortable.
    I've lost a number of good friends and a brother-in-law over the years. None of them were wearing a vest when they died. In 2 of those cases, the pfd would not have saved them due to head injuries (one was struck by another boat, one struck a log in the dark), but it sure makes recovering the body a lot faster. If you've ever waited for days, sometimes several weeks, for a friend or relative's body to be recovered, you know what I mean.
    Think about your families, guys. They expect you to return from that fishing trip just as healthy as you were when you left home.:)

18. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Good post Tommy

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I wear mine when using the motor or in rough water.

20. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    i keep mine on the seat too. But when we start to go into rough current or start to go fast, i'll put it on, but we should wear it all the time just to be safe.