Life jacket yes or no

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Stl-Stitch, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I’ve noticed in most of the pics that no one wears a life jacket while fishing, myself included. I never wear one but probably should as I mostly fish at night. So the question is, Do you wear a life jacket while trying to catch those monster cats?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont fish from a boat, mainly because I have a fear of drowning, I cant swim.

I have been in boats many time and used a pfd everytime, I dont understand why someone would not wear one at all times.//especially at night, especially while moving.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont normally wear one. I think that it is a good idea to wear one when fishing during cold water or in dangerous currents or are by yourself. I can swim very well but I am no match for cold water in feezing temperatures. I think the inflatables are a good idea for those who want the comfort and safety at the same time. The key is not to panic. Once you panic you are in trouble. Dont fight the water and let it do what it wants with you. Take a deep breath(above water) and go with the flow. A ladder on the boat is a great idea, just in case. If any doubt please wear one. The ones they have nowadays are far from the old bulky orange ones.

4. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I always wear one when I'm moving. In the summer I usually take it off when I'm stationary. When it's cooler I have a life jacket that is actually more like a coat. This type costs a lot but I wear it a lot. It helps keep the cold wind off me on the boat ride plus it holds heat in pretty good so I keep it on while I'm fishing in the winter and spring.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't typically wear one.........................unless my wife/baby are in the boat or the water is really rough. They are always available in the boat

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Everyone in my boat wears one when moving, if by myself I don't take it off.The dog has to wear a PFD, no one is excluded.

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I ALWAYS WEAR ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I always wear one when the boat is moving. I usually take it off when the boat is stationary. It only takes one accident to make you wish you had it on.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't wear one at all. The boat I'm usually in is ran by trolling motors, no gas so we cant go fast.

Now if its cold and rough out I would wear one while going back to the boat ramp. I have no problem wearing one while we are moving a little faster. I'm surprised their isn't any laws where you must wear a pfd while the motor is running. Kinda like the seat belt laws we now have.

-Jim-

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I tried to always wear one when & where legally required, and always wore one when fishing the rough water below the dam or powerhouse, but otherwise didn't wear one because they were hot and uncomfortable. Then I got my Sospenders. They are so comfortable I put them on before I get in the boat and don't even notice them till I'm back on shore; I've even gotten back to the campsite and found myself still wearing them because I forgot to take them off. Given that your PFD can't save your life if you don't have it on, I recommend the Sospender type of PFD for everyone.

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I try to wear one while moving and when its rough out.. I should wear one all the time, but old habits are hard to break.. It's always next to me though..

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If Im in a boat I wear one. I cant swim.

13. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Normally, I fish from the bank, so there's no need for a PFD. When I do fish by boat, it's normally a charter where PFDs are not worn on a regular basis.

-- Rich

14. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Trying real hard to remove old habits, having new inflatables sure have made it easier. I'm fishing by myself most of the time, so it up to me to enforce wearing it.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't wear one, and i know i should! my daughter and wife would like me home, and it only takes one time! I need to change my ways.. thanks for the thread... rollo

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It is a RARE pic where you will see me without one on! The only time I EVER take mine off is if it is roasting hot outside and I am anchored safely in CALM water.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I can honestly say since I bought the auto inflatable vest, I have worn it EVERY time im out there. Like Skipeye said if I'm in CALM water with little to no current I will take it off for comfort, but its back on for the motor start. You dont even know you have those things on. And for those that still just cant get in the habit, they also make a 'fanny pack' vest that you can just strap around you waist. Kutter has one I believe so perhaps he can elaborate on the 'where to purchase' feature. :wink:

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mines usually fastened over the back of my seat. If i fall out and bong my noggin, it's useless there. I use to have a float coat i wore when duck huntin, it was nice. I really need to invest in the suspenders i guess cause i hate wearin a life jacket.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The fanny pack auto inflatable would work good for you John. Small price to pay for when the "oops" happens. :wink:

20. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    To be honest, I wear it when the river is rough and thats about it.
    Glad I had it on last week as I didnt think we were gonna make it!