Licking River

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by fisherman16, Mar 12, 2008.

1. fisherman16

fisherman16 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are there good catfishing opportunities in the Licking River? Above or below the damn? channel or flat?

Probably should have posted this in the rivers section. sorry.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have never got to fish much more than the mouth of Licking at the Ohio River. I have some buddies who have fished the river and done well though.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Which Licking River are you talking about .... We have the Licking River that runs through Newark and becomes Dillon Res. and then below the dam down into the Muskingum .... Don't know about one that Tbull is talking about .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

4. fisherman16

fisherman16 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The one that goes into Dillon. I have caught bass and crappie from it, but like I said I've never really fished for cats before (ive caught channel twice out of a lake by accident though) and was just wondering if there were any catfishing opportunities in the river.

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    good cat fishing anywhere above and below the dam,and lots of access points along the river channels and flatheads are caught all the way up to staddens bridge in Newark

6. fisherman16

fisherman16 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info. The places on the river that I fish (for bass anyway) are places off 146 such as the place near Hamby Feeds(under the bridge on Pleasant Valley road) and further south on 146 past the damn. I normally wade the river untill I get to a place that is deep or around fallen trees etc. Would I do the same for cats?

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    the end of may and 1st 2 weeks of june the channels will be spawning in the rocks along the banks,one of the best times there is to get into a lot of real nice ones,small pieces of cut-bait or shrimp under a bobber with no weigh drifted across the rocks works well ,also night-crawlers,set the depth on the bobber 12 to 15 inches

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    there are flatheads in Dillon headwaters, all the way up to Newark? I've always figured there had to be a few, although everytime we fish this stretch we only use cut gills and creekchubs. I know there's some nice channel cat action from heath all the way to the lake.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sorry guys, i was talking about the Licking river in KY, think I was a couple hundred miles off on that one.....:eek:oooh:.....The mouth of the Licking river in Ky on the Ohio River is right in down town Cincinnati. My bad ya'll....:wink:

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My son, you are not the first to do that. Til I came here I had no idea that "yours" even existed lol!

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hear ya, until this thread I had no idea yours did....:smile2:

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey ... No problem Travis ... at least you were trying to help and that is what it is all about. There are a lot of duplicate named stream/rivers around. I don't know how many raccoon creeks there are just in Ohio ..... Garry- :wink:

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Wolf Creek too. WHo knows of a Wolf Creek? The one I know is down on the Muskingum River at Beverly on the Waterford side.