Licensed Guide Service

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Bryan8552, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Does anyone know what the requirements are to be a properly licensed guide here in VA. It appears as if the State has no requirement, but, "seems" as though The Coast Guard may require a license. Does anyone know the answer, or know where the answer can be found in writing?

2. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    USCG licences are really applicable to Federal Waterways, Inland waters in our area include the Mississippi River and its main Tributaries, Great Lakes and Oceans. Its a great feather in your cap to have one and list as a guide but probably not a necessity with the USCG in your area.
    I will qualify that I live in MN and the course I attended was geared for the Upper Miss, tributaries and Great lakes.
    I would consult some of the following schools to see what they think to be sure,
    this is one of the first steps. Good luck.
    I hope to have my licence in the next 4-6 weeks.

Here is a link.
    http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/mmic-regions.htm

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    You've got to have a 6 pack license minimum if you want to think about hitting the James or any of the other tidal waters holding cats. Don't know what the requirements are for inland waterways. And of course insurance and business license.

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    If anyone is interested in attending a Captian School at Greentop (Richmond-Glen Allen Area) on April 6-11 contact Donna at 1-866-549-2628. The cost for the class is $850.