License question for the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishinnstudyin, Dec 1, 2006.

1. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Hi, I have a license question. I currently have a Missouri license, but I have some friends who are launching from the Illinois side of the River, but fishing on a bank near the Missouri side. Do I still have to buy a 1 day Illinois license because we launched on the Illinois side or can the license work for both sides similar to Missouri/Arkansas licenses being usable for lakes on the boundary of our borders?

Thanks

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

3. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    sweet... thanks so much... now I wish I knew of a spot on the Illinois side (parents moved recently from Missouri to Illinois) where I could bank fish.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you are no longer a MO resident, your MO license is invalid and you will need a Illinois license. Sorry.

5. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    i still go to school in missouri, my parents moved to Illinois.

6. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you have a missouri driver license you should still be legal

7. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are legal to fish from either bank, but there is some question if you aim on taking fish with you, I caontacted Mo, conservation about if I was stopped with fish in Ill. on how I could prove I was fishing in iLL. THey told me to contact Ill. Conservation , which I did 2 times without a response.

8. Ruffneck

Ruffneck New Member

State:
    De Soto, Missouri
    A couple years Mo and Ill adopted reciprocal privleges meaning what ever state your resident of thats where you get get liscense from however the rules are different on Mississippi you are now only allowed 2 unlabeled poles but are allowed 50 hooks for trotlines and such you can use more than 2 poles if you label additional ones like you do trotlines this year there has benn some changes on limits of blues and flats. I got this info from Steve Lenz our game warden hope this helps

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    John, your license in Mo. is good till it expires. You can fish on or from either side of the Mississippi River under the reciprical agreement and unique regulations Ben spoke of that were agreed upon with the state of Il. You can fish the Miss. but cannot fish in any tributary of the other state without a license of that state. Check the regulations book for this and with each state we border with, they differ, like the special lakes permit with Arkansas that allows a license holder of that special permit to fish in the others state anywhere on those lakes. Hope this helps... when I want to make sure of any regulations, I call the Conservation Dept. and they’re real helpful, plus it puts my mind at ease.

10. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    My friend, Jerry C., just last month heard the same thing that you can fish both sides with a Missouri license. This is true! But, if you have a MO. license you have to put in on the Missouri side. This is because when you pull your boat in the fish you caught become that states catch. Then you are under that states regulations. This is do to the fact that the fish and your boat, are on the territory of that state. If you put in on the Ill's side you have to have a Ill's license to claim a legal catch when you pull away from the river.
    My friend, Jerry C., went to court to argue that point. The judge was simpathetic for him and only find him $250 for 4 fish and told him, " Smart'en up son, your in my territory!"
    Be legal, don't be sorry.

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Don't think it matters where you put in, the kicker is abiding by the strictest regulations for the area you are fishing. On my stretch of the river (below KC), I can use up to 33 "labeled" poles. When fishing above KC you are restricted to 2 poles (Kansas law).

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You do not need a license for the adjoining state. If you put in in Illinois you can fish with a Missouri license but you must abide by Missouri rules. This is a reciprocal agreement. I have fished several tournaments on the Mississippi and this is the way the law was interpreted to me. Bob

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Doesn't matter where you launch. Doesn't matter what state you are licensed in either. What matters is who has the strictest regulations.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I know each state is different, but what's the deal with poles? Is it merely a matter of labeling the poles or is there a fee for fishing beyond the number allowed without labels? In Texas, we have no limit on poles.

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    This has been gone over a bunch on a different thread, but in Missouri you're allowed 3 unlableled poles or up to 33 labled poles. In Kansas you are allowed 2 poles and 3 if you buy the additional permit.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Every state has at least a few goofy rules. The Missouri rule regarding the number of poles you can use is one of them (in Texas, I think the goofy rule is requiring all jug lines to be white in color... And having to buy an extra license to use a third pole in Kansas is just plain stupid.)

The way Missouri law is worded, you're allowed up to 3 "unlabeled" poles and up to 33 hooks in the aggregate (fishing on the Mississippi river, the rule is 2 unlabeled poles and 50 hooks.) The rules don't specifically state that you can use more poles if you label them, but the implication is fairly clear -- they wouldn't have said "unlabeled" if the option to "label" your poles wasn't available.

17. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    you are allowed 3 unlabled poles on the Missouri. If you only use one hook per pole you can use 33 poles because you are allowed 33 hooks in the aggregate. on the Mississippi it would be 50 poles. but only 3 on the Missouri and 2 on the Mississippi can be unlabeled. You must have labels on the remainder. Bob

18. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    WHERE YOU PUT YOUR BOAT IN IS WHERE YOU NEAD YOUR LICENSE AT!:eek:oooh: