License Information on the Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by ibohunter, Jan 14, 2007.

1. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    Is My Maryland Sportfisher License Good On The Potomac River

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The DNR wedsite has maps that show the boundaries - I don't recall exactly where the line is know but I know I'm good from the WW Bridge south on my boat decal.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The Bay sport License $40.00 will cover you and all people on your boat in tidal water only.It does cover you in all waters of the statejust not riders in non tidal waters. The Maryland line is from fox ferry point ablove the ww birdge on the Maryland side to the bridge on the Viriginia side. Any where from there point down river you will be covered.

4. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim I Went To Fox's To Get My License And They Called Dnr. Dnr Said The Bay Sport On Covers U In The Bay Not The River.that Is What They Told Use.

5. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not to be arguementative, but check the DNR website - it has charts with the demarcation lines.

6. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I bought mine last week. The agent told me that I needed a freshwater as well to fish the tributaries rivers that feed the Bay. I got both to be sure not to get into any trouble. It is not that much $$$ so I don't mind. I will have to get the Virginia Non-Resident and gill net permits as well. Some people fuss about the costs, but we all know its well worth the $$$. I would like to live closer to these productive areas, but that would make the excitement much less(right). I'm looking forward to getting back down to the James one day real soon. Hope to see some of you all out there on the water soon. Later for now---jonnycat

7. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    It is my understanding on the potomac the sportfishing license is
    good only as far upstream as the route 301 bridge. from 301 to the DC waters only a freshwater licence is required. I have VA license, could be differend for MD.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys your sportfishing license for 40.00 buck cover all tidal waters in the state of Maryland you need it to crab and fish in tidal water.
    If you buy a freshwater license you have to buy a bay stamp to fish tidal waters and everybody on the body must have a license.
    Also If you buy the Sportfishing license remember to get the decals for you boat that comes with the license. If DNR would be out check license they will not stop boats with the decal on them. All of this came right from Officer Simmons who runs the Potomac river

9. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    All of this seems to be unneccesarily confusing. I realize DC has a separate license, and VA and MD have a reciprocity agreement covering the Potomac above and below the DC area. That seems pretty easy, but then if you go below the 301 bridge, you need another license. Seems a bit much, and just another way to get money.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well the sportmens license cover or water you still need a trout stamp. the freshwater license is done for the people who maybe just trout fish or weekend anglers who only fish say a local river.

I have gotten the sportmens license for years now 40 bucks if we would get checked when I show my license they dont even ask for anybody license after that

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil