License Information Needed

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by holliswood, Dec 30, 2009.

1. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Is there a certain type of fishing license, other than the lake/pond license? The dude at Wal-Mart said there's a trout license to. I've been fishing in lakes/ponds but would like to try fishing some of the rivers up near Stokes County. I catfish only. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I think about 5 or 6 , ranging from temporary to lifetime. Fishing the rivers up there would be fine with the basic inland licence. Regarding trout , there is a licence , but the seasons , areas , special permission , and hours seem to change conducive to the body of water you fish. Visit www.ncwildlife.org for more details.

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hollis, If the rivers you're fishing are considered "trout waters" then they are highly regulated. There is a trout reg/map book put out by NC Wildlife. The regs are relevant because there are sections of trout waters where you can't use bait (have to use artificials/lures only) and others where you can only fish with barbless hooks. Sometimes, the rules change from one side of a road or bridge to the other.

4. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Well, I'll check on that information and hope for the best. Any more, all this rules and regs are confusing the helk out of me. It's taking the enjoyment of fishing out of the equation. Also, I'm worrying about breaking the rules. I've about had it.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    All you need is a regular freshwater fishing license. Nothing complicated at all about it. The reg book has a trout section and you can see if your body of water has any special regs. If you're catfishing then you're probably not where there's a lot of trout.

6. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Thanks. That would make sense to me.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just make sure to look in the book to make sure there aren't any weird regulations where you're fishing. If there are it'll be in that book.

The regs can be confusing at times but it doesn't take too long to look and make sure you're not doing anything wrong.

8. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Thanks for the help. I'm trying to hit the ground running this year. I mainly fish at Belews and my boy and I want to try some different area's.