License and DUI Check Points

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dragger, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a question , maybe someone can tell me, At a license or DUI check point, you may be asked, do you have a weapon,if you do they take it and run the serial numbers, thats ok by me, when they return it to you, if it is a semi-auto, they will give you the clip first (fully loaded) and give you the weapon last, with the action open, this has happend to me on three diffrent times, I think that is wrong. Now I have my clip in hand, they hand me the weapon (action open) All i have to do is pop in the clip,filp the thumb bar on the side of the gun , and im ready for buisness. I think that is the wrong way to do this. a loaded clip is ok, but i think the weapon should have the action open, BUT with a tie wrap through the action to keep it from being loaded in the presents of an officer for his protection, they have enough to worry about.........just my thoughts..........steve

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well Steve that is a good point but think about this as a public relation thing. They trust you enough to hand it back and show you that they don't perceive you as a threat.
    But believe me when I say when they hand you back that weapon you have been checked out and could almost tell you what you had for dinner and where you ate it.

3. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well obviously if you get your weapon back your a law obiding citizen and you have no reason to shoot them...

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Steve
    You just look like a "good guy". LOL

What do you suggest that they do?

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    In Hunters Ed we teach never to hand a firearm to another person unless you both can see that chamber is empty. I can see your point, but its a safety thing. Besides many would grip about the ziptie. If they do give it back, they know thats its a safe thing to do. I bet if they sense the person is nervous or seems odd that the scenario changes.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can bet on one thing for sure. That person doesn't get that weapon back until they are thougherly checked out.

Like cliff said, in the back ground some one is watching your every move the moment that weapon is replaced in your hands.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    it on a take a few sec for Someone that knows how to use a gun to put in clipp and shoot and a office takes a bullet.

8. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Somebody help me out here. If I'm stopped for a simple driver's license or a sobriety check and I'm obviously not impared aand have a legal license, why would they ask me for a weapon. The supreme Court has already declared that a simple speeding ticket is not grounds for a warrentless search. Seems to be a bit of a reach on the part of the officers. I fail to understand it, more infringement , but it's alright cause I'm legal. You were legal to start with.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nothing is a 100% in life, anything can happen, but after being checked, I would think the odds or in favor that when the officer gives back the weapon , he is pretty sure all is well and safe. Like others said, he has a back up.
    I also learned the same in my CWL class. Never hand a gun to someone unless both can see its unloaded. Only way is to take clip out and leave chamber open.

As a respect to the officer and safety for both yourself and officer. When he does hand you back your weapon with clip out and chamber open. Dont insert clip and close chamber. Just lay it in your seat etc. and drive away, reload later. Better yet, close chamber without inserting clip, put weapon back where you had it and lay clip on seat and then re insert clip after you leave the area. You want need you gun anyway at a check point.
    Why draw more attention by putting in clip first and closing chamber. Then you know its loaded with hammer back and you have to release hammer. That makes everybody nervous. SO dont do that.

Actually if I was the officer I would suggest to the person I was handing gun back to, Sir/Madam, if you dont mine, please close your chamber without inserting clip, put your weapon away and re insert your clip after you left this check point for both our safety, thank you for your time, patience and understanding. Have a nice day.

They also taught that in our CWL class.
    Common sense, respect on both sides is all it takes, to be safe and have a good day. Easy gun 101 stuff.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have a CWL you are required by law to show the officer that first, before your D.L. and he has the right to check out the weapon and take control of it, for alls safety, until check point is over.

He also has the right to ask if you have a weapon if you dont have a CWL. He
    doesn't have the right to search without consent or warrant but why refuse him that unless one has something to hide.
    Bad attitude makes for bad days on both sides. Easier it is on both sides, the faster everyone can go on about their business with no problems.

I'm not saying I like all the laws we live under. I dont. I'm saying while it is law, we have to live under its rules or pay for breaking them. Side of the road is no place to try and change the rules/laws.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Herbert you said only a few seconds. That is the key word there.
    If an officer practices like I do, and I am sure most do, Then if this were to happen and god forbid it does. I can draw my service weapon and fire two rounds in about 1 sec to a little over a second. Plus I am right on target with it.

12. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    when ever I have carried a gun and got pulled over I always put both hands on the sterring wheel before they get to the door so that way they can ask and I tell them that there is a gun in the car a that always seems to make the officer more calm

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My son is a Oklahoma Highway Patrolman. He practices quick draw for about 1/2 hour each day. His life depends upon it... He also does physical training so he can wrestle a pretty darn big person down. He has spent 4 years in the military as an explosive ordinance technician, and is on the Patrol as a bomb tech. We have had four or five troopers killed in the last 5 to 6 years because someone out wrestled them and took their gun away, or shot them from ambush. Being a cop is not a pleasant job.

14. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys, That was just something i was just thinking about, i thank all for the information and replies, stay safe , and god bless all of our public service officers.........thanks......steve

15. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Yes. I learned that in hunters ed also. Also in my state you can't have the ammo with the gun. You have to have it in a seperate bag, or box.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dano, that is correct for TX but Dennis's state of AR doesn't require you to show unless the officer demands.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    olefin, I'm sure you are right about that in AR. Still it is always a good ideal to let the officer know what the deal is first. I kind of like "explayer" his post.

" when ever I have carried a gun and got pulled over I always put both hands on the sterring wheel before they get to the door so that way they can ask and I tell them that there is a gun in the car a that always seems to make the officer more calm".

Common sense and respect always works and goes both ways. Even if it aint in the book. Todays world, we need to start thinking about what we are looseing and need to get back to. JMO.