Lews SuperDuty GX3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by chillydigits, Jul 2, 2020.

1. chillydigits

chillydigits Well-Known Member

State:
    Mt.Liberty Ohio
    Name:
    Fred
    Due to circumstances beyond my control I have found myself bank fishing for Channels and Blues more then Shovelheads this summer.. Make no mistake I am not happy about it..

The rods I picked up were Ugly Stick catfish rods 8ft casting.. I have to admit Ugly Stiks fit and finish quality isn’t what it used to be. The rods were light and I wanted to pick up a nice light weight reel with a clicker to match up with them.

Enter the Lews SuperDuty GX3 low profile bait caster.. 4plus1 bearings, 150yds/65 Braid, brass main and pinion gears, Lews claims 24lbs of drag but with brass internals,,, I have not tried to test it. Mine cast well, as well as my Komodo 364, very nice loud clicker, easily adjustable 6 pin brake. I have caught Channels up to 12lbs. Are they Penn Fathoms no.. but they are fun to fish with.

Lews problem is the retail is $139.00 which puts it into competition with the Okuma Citrix... I have fished both and the Citrix wins.... but if you hunt the inter webs they can be found for $99-$109. At that price they are nice compact reels.
    8DD291A9-B0EF-4D40-B8E5-701554588B70.jpeg

Here is a size comparison to a Komodo364, Penn Fathom15lw and a Foxpro Fury. Yes I know the camera angle is funky.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. jculpepper05

jculpepper05 Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Name:
    Josh Culpepper
    That komodo looks awesome! Thats my last dream reel.

3. hurt locker

hurt locker Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    Looked at one of these last year before our Striper trip to Tennessee. Quantum Monster PT300 won out due to price and I really like the Quantum drag.

4. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    I have also looked at that reel. I am a huge Lew's fan but I went with a Diawa Lexa 400 because I got a steal on a new one. No regrets with the choice yet.

5. Cowboys4357

Cowboys4357 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James
    Nice lookin reel. I've git my eye on a kastking kapstan right now